ASP/ASP.NET page that reacts a special way to items coming from a particular subdomain (programmatic

Ken Fine

Please help me think through this one.

1) I have DNS and IIS set up on my server.
2) I've written ASP and ASP.NET webpages that behave in certain ways when a
variable is set via querystring or in code. They render as
"mobile-optimized" pages when they receive the right params via QS.
3) I've configured subdomains on my server, e.g: mobile.mydomain.org
4) What I want is for requests that come in on mobile.mydomain.org to render
themselves as mobile pages.

My choices:
1) Best: Can I test programmatically in classic ASP/ASP.NET whether the
requests are coming from my mobile.mydomain.org? Could you tell me how?
2) Alternate: What would be the smartest way to do this in IIS -- maybe by
configuring a new website and inspecting host headers? Any liabilities for
existing sites?

Any other tactics? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

-KF

Steven Cheng

Hi KF,

Regarding on this issue, seems the first thing you need to do is get the
servername in url and parse it(to see whether it contains subdomain info).
In classic or ASP.NET , there are different means to do this. The following
two articles have mentioned some means such as using
ServerVariables(available in both ASP and ASP.NET) or the Request.Url
property(for ASP.NET):

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t98901-point-a-subdomain-to-a-subdirec
tory.html

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t102142-subdomain-redirect-within-appl
ication.html

Also, as you said that you may want to display different kind of page
depend on this info, I think for ASP.NET, you may consider developing a
HttpModule which intercept the request(check the servername in path) and
redirect the url:

#INFO: ASP.NET HTTP Modules and HTTP Handlers Overview
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307985

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/hemantkathuria/ASPNetHttpModules1126
2005004251AM/ASPNetHttpModules.aspx

http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/6962/0/page/4

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
From: "Ken Fine" <[email protected]>
Subject: ASP/ASP.NET page that reacts a special way to items coming from a
particular subdomain (programmatically testing subdomain?)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:13:21 -0800
Please help me think through this one.

1) I have DNS and IIS set up on my server.
2) I've written ASP and ASP.NET webpages that behave in certain ways when

Ken Fine

Thanks Steven, exactly what I needed. Figured it was easy, but always
interesting to find the hard way too. :)

-KF

GenesisGai