    I need to change my webconfig file for <customErrors mode="Off" /> so that I
    can see the error....well, this is what is sitting in my webconfig file.

    Does this meant I need to make changes to IIS? What would that be?
    OldButStillLearning, Jun 10, 2008

  2. OldButStillLearning

    sloan Guest

    That setting is saying

    "Allow anyone using this site to see the actual exception"
    or
    "Hide the real actual exception from users".

    MAKE SURE
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    is NOT in a commented out section in the web.config.

    "OldButStillLearning" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    sloan, Jun 10, 2008

  3. It is not commented out....it is active and it is set to "Off"

    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    OldButStillLearning, Jun 10, 2008
  4. OldButStillLearning

    David Wier Guest

    Assuming you have .Net installed, and you know which version you're using -
    AND you have access to IIS, check in IIS to make sure you
    1. Have an ASP.Net tab
    2. ASP.Net is set to the correct version

    Otherwise - just create a new ASP.Net page, with a label - then, in the
    Page_load event, assign some text to that label.
    This will check to confirm whether the simplest things are working in
    ASP.Net

    David Wier
    http://aspnet101.com
    bloated markup

    David Wier, Jun 10, 2008
  5. OldButStillLearning

    sloan Guest

    Total guess:

    Try running this:

    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
    and then
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

    You can google the .exe file name to see what it does.

    This won't hurt anything, but might address your issue.

    I would try to get a simple simple asp.net website running first, (as stated
    before, label with the time being set or something).

    sloan, Jun 10, 2008
  6. Thanks David...

    I have created a very simple web page which has nothing more then a text box
    and a button....but it will not display it...

    I have no access to the server....
    OldButStillLearning, Jun 10, 2008
  7. You might want to check whether IE has "Show friendly HTTP errors" enabled.
    If you togglle "Show friendly HTTP errors", the page will display the true error message.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 10, 2008
  8. OldButStillLearning

    sloan Guest

    Check my post about the register the asp/iis stuff then.

    I would run the 1.1 THEN the 2.0. (Yes, run the 1.1 if you're (only) doing
    2.0 stuff first, then the 2.0 one).

    However, if you don't have access to the server, its a non-issue.

    sloan, Jun 10, 2008