ASP/ASPX

OldButStillLearning

I have an ASP web site and I want to start moving a few ASPX pages to this
site. Shouldn't I be able to just move the pages over and be able to bring
them up?

When I do this, I get a "Run Time Error" and it displays me the message that
I need to change my webconfig file for <customErrors mode="Off" /> so that I
can see the error....well, this is what is sitting in my webconfig file.

Does this meant I need to make changes to IIS? What would that be?

sloan

That setting is saying

"Allow anyone using this site to see the actual exception"
or
"Hide the real actual exception from users".

MAKE SURE
<customErrors mode="Off" />
is NOT in a commented out section in the web.config.

OldButStillLearning

It is not commented out....it is active and it is set to "Off"

<authentication mode="Windows"/>
<customErrors mode="Off" />

David Wier

Assuming you have .Net installed, and you know which version you're using -
AND you have access to IIS, check in IIS to make sure you
1. Have an ASP.Net tab
2. ASP.Net is set to the correct version

Otherwise - just create a new ASP.Net page, with a label - then, in the
Page_load event, assign some text to that label.
This will check to confirm whether the simplest things are working in
ASP.Net

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
bloated markup

sloan

Total guess:

Try running this:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
and then
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

You can google the .exe file name to see what it does.

This won't hurt anything, but might address your issue.

I would try to get a simple simple asp.net website running first, (as stated
before, label with the time being set or something).

OldButStillLearning

Thanks David...

I have created a very simple web page which has nothing more then a text box
and a button....but it will not display it...

I have no access to the server....

Juan T. Llibre

You might want to check whether IE has "Show friendly HTTP errors" enabled.
If you togglle "Show friendly HTTP errors", the page will display the true error message.

sloan

Check my post about the register the asp/iis stuff then.

I would run the 1.1 THEN the 2.0. (Yes, run the 1.1 if you're (only) doing
2.0 stuff first, then the 2.0 one).

However, if you don't have access to the server, its a non-issue.