    Thank you and Regards,
    Bar
    , May 19, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I understand this will sound like a very stupid question but...
    >
    > I'm learning to use ASP and I am following an online tutorial. First
    > thing it shows a very basic asp script like this:

    > <%
    > response.write("Hello World!")
    > %>

    > However I pasted this code in a file called test.html and when I try
    > to open it with IE (IE Ver 6 SP2, XP SP2) I just get a blank page.
    > Where do I make it wrong ?

    You named the file with an html extension instead of "asp". Call it
    test.asp, and make sure asp is enabled in your IIS settings.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 19, 2005

  3. after you rename it to ".asp"

    also, make sure you run it through a webserver.. dont just run it off your
    hd in some folder and expect the asp code inside it ti do its thing

    Kyle Peterson, May 20, 2005
  4. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I understand this will sound like a very stupid question but...
    >
    >I'm learning to use ASP and I am following an online tutorial. First
    >thing it shows a very basic asp script like this:

    ><%
    >response.write("Hello World!")
    >%>

    >However I pasted this code in a file called test.html and when I try to
    >open it with IE (IE Ver 6 SP2, XP SP2) I just get a blank page. Where
    >do I make it wrong ?

    ASP code is intended to be executed by a web server. If you simply
    open the file with your browser, no server is involved and the code
    does not get executed. Since ASP is proprietary to Microsoft, the only
    server that executes it (the only server that executes it *well*,
    anyway) is IIS, and that runs only on XP Professional or Windows
    Server 2003. You need to install IIS, put your ASP page in a website
    controlled by IIS, and have your browser retrieve the page through
    IIS.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)
    Tim Slattery, May 20, 2005
  5. Roland Hall Guest

    "Tim Slattery" <> wrote in message
    : wrote:
    : ASP code is intended to be executed by a web server. If you simply
    : open the file with your browser, no server is involved and the code
    : does not get executed. Since ASP is proprietary to Microsoft, the only
    : server that executes it (the only server that executes it *well*,
    : anyway) is IIS, and that runs only on XP Professional or Windows
    : Server 2003. You need to install IIS, put your ASP page in a website
    : controlled by IIS, and have your browser retrieve the page through
    : IIS.

    or any other flavor of windows that supports IIS/PWS.

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, May 21, 2005