ASP/CDO Mail and Exchange 2000 on AD Domain

Jim in Arizona

I have no idea how to get started, really, but I am looking for a way to
have an email sent via an ASP page via our Exchange 2000 server.

I have a fairly simple asp page that displays data from a SQL 2000 database
in the form of web links. A part of this page allows people to post links to
the database for display. When someone posts a link, I would like an email
sent to me with the data (link) that they posted through the ASP page.

This page is on our internal web server only and only our domain users can
access this web server. We have a single exchange 2000 mail server.

I did look at ASPFAQ 2026 on using CDO for sending e-mail but this doesn't
help me much because it doesn't say anything about connecting to the
exchange server or anything about proper authentication with the exchange
server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Have you tried just sending e-mail yet? Some Exchange admins allow their
Exchange servers to relay mail from any machine on the same subnet, which
isn't really good. Assuming that relaying is not permitted, ask your
Exchange guy to permit relaying from the IP of your IIS server and then set
your IIS's SMTP service to use the Exchange server as a smarthost in the IIS
admin console.

Ray at work