ASP CDO mail only works when browser cache is cleared

Henry

I have a simple form on a page in my website in which a user can enter
an email address to be added to a mailing list.

The following ASP script works the first time a user submits his or
her email address. However, if the same user tries to submit another
email, the browser hangs and times out. If the user clears the
browser's cache, this script works fine. Could someone please explain
this behaviour and how I can resolve it?

Thanks!

<%

Set myMail=CreateObject("CDO.Message")
myMail.Subject= "MAILING LIST ADDITION"
myMail.From= Request.Form.Item(1)
myMail.To="(e-mail address removed)"
myMail.TextBody= "Please add the following person to the mailing list:
" & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & Request.Form.Item(1)
myMail.Send
set myMail=nothing
Response.Redirect "http://www.domain.com"

%>

Anthony Jones

Henry said:
[...]

I'm struggling to respond to this. Its somewhat incoherant. Are you sure
the mail server you are using allows emails to apparently come from any
random address?

What does the form look like? I think we need to see that.
I take it the page of code above is the action page of the form?
You then redirect to the root of your site how does the user get to the form
again?

Henry

The form is a simple text field on a "Contact Us" page of our website.
The user enters an email address and clicks on a Send button. The
scipt above is the action page which redirects the user back to the
homepage. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

To my knowledge, our server does not validate the email address. In my
testing, I am able to successfully send an email via the form only
once. And then I need to clear my browser cache for it to work again.

I'm stumped!

Anthony Jones

Henry said:
The form is a simple text field on a "Contact Us" page of our website.
The user enters an email address and clicks on a Send button. The
scipt above is the action page which redirects the user back to the
homepage. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

To my knowledge, our server does not validate the email address. In my
testing, I am able to successfully send an email via the form only
once. And then I need to clear my browser cache for it to work again.

I'm stumped!

I'm not sure it such a good idea to do redirect in response to a post
anyway.

You might be better of sending some content back thanking the user for their
interest etc blah.