ASP Classic and .Net Components

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rhek, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Rhek

    Rhek Guest

    Hello,

    I have just moved an ASP Classic website to a new hosting company that has a
    number of .NET components available. The website works fine after the move
    with one exception. We were creating PDFs using ASPPDF for ASP but now it
    looks like only ABCPDF.NET is available.

    My knowledge of ASP.NET is very limited at this time and I am planning on
    converting the site to ASP.NET soon but I really need to get the PDF working
    as soon as I can.

    Is any of the following possible...

    1) "wrap" the ASPPDF com control so I can use it at the new hosting company
    as a workaround for now? This would be the easiest for me as I would not need
    to change the asp classic code (maybe a little). Maybe place the asppdf com
    control in the .bin directory? The control does need registered in it's
    current form.

    2) access the ABCPDF.NET component from a classic asp page?

    3) write the pdf code in ASP.NET and then call that code from an ASP Classic
    page? If I write this as a web service can I call the web service from an ASP
    Classic page? I would need to pass a parameter, maybe two parameters to the
    pdf code

    4) I am open to any suggestion other then migrate the website to asp.net at
    the moment as I need to get this up and working in the next few days if
    possible.

    If you have any thoughts on this subject please let me know. (code samples
    would be wonderful!!)

    Cheers,
    Rhek

    Rhek, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Rhek

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:12:06 -0700, "Rhek"
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    >I have just moved an ASP Classic website to a new hosting company that has a
    >number of .NET components available. The website works fine after the move
    >with one exception. We were creating PDFs using ASPPDF for ASP but now it
    >looks like only ABCPDF.NET is available.
    >
    >My knowledge of ASP.NET is very limited at this time and I am planning on
    >converting the site to ASP.NET soon but I really need to get the PDF working
    >as soon as I can.
    >
    >Is any of the following possible...
    >
    >1) "wrap" the ASPPDF com control so I can use it at the new hosting company
    >as a workaround for now? This would be the easiest for me as I would not need
    >to change the asp classic code (maybe a little). Maybe place the asppdf com
    >control in the .bin directory? The control does need registered in it's
    >current form.

    No.

    >2) access the ABCPDF.NET component from a classic asp page?

    No.

    >3) write the pdf code in ASP.NET and then call that code from an ASP Classic
    >page? If I write this as a web service can I call the web service from an ASP
    >Classic page? I would need to pass a parameter, maybe two parameters to the
    >pdf code

    Yes.

    >4) I am open to any suggestion other then migrate the website to asp.net at
    >the moment as I need to get this up and working in the next few days if
    >possible.

    Then use #3.

    ASP and ASP.NET code can live happily together. They cannot share
    sessions, but you can pass variables with a query just fine.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 30, 2005