ASP Classic problems on LAN IIS install

Newbie

Hi All

Trying to create a mini-ASP web dev with a couple of PCs at school. When
the teachers are happy with the site on the LAN then going to upload it to
the school site. Problem is having real problems with the ASP side of
things.

Timeline of events is as follows:

1) Added IIS (via Add/Remove Windows Components) on WinXP Pro machine (6
month old Acer to be exact). No problem.

2) Created a folder called asp in the inetpub folder and made it web
shareable by right-clicking on it and setting the Web Sharing bit. I
usually have read, execute and directory browsing. No problem.

3) Put a text file (with an ext of .asp) in this new asp folder, typed the
usual text of <%=now()%> and saved it. No problem.

4) Went to http://itpc1/asp and clicked on the new 'test.asp' file. Date
and time appears. No problem.

5) Went to my colleague's little office (showing him how to do asp) to make
sure his PC can see the web page working OK (both machines are on the same
network) and the page displays fine. No problem.

6) Now the reason for this setup is that the PC in his little office is only
WinXP Home and the PCs with WinXP pro on are the children's suite, which he
can't have sitdown access to all the time. My plan was that I would web
share the asp folder AND network share the folder so that he can be dropping
files in and doing edits on the asp folder via the network share and then
view the results via the http://itpc1/asp web share.

Proceeded to network share (all are setup for simple sharing) the asp
folder. No problem.

7) Went into network places on his WinXP Home PC, found the folder no
problem, created a shortcut to this folder no problem, he can open up, edit
and save changes no problem.

HOWEVER, as soon as he goes back to the http://itpc1/asp page all of the asp
files generate an ASP error saying the Invalid Default Script Language.

I go back downstairs and try and get the pages via the main WinXP Pro
machine and this now generates the exact same problem.

The long and short of it is, I have to uninstall and then reinstall IIS to
fix the problem. Nothing in the IIS settings has been changed. I never
touch the default scripting lang setting, which is in fact the right setting
of vbscript.

Could somebody please let me know what is happening. Why is the XP Home PC
screwing things up when the files are network shared on the WinXP Pro
machine?

Thanks

Anthony Jones

Newbie said:
[...]

It seems highly unlikely that a client PC of any type accessing a shared
network resource would have any impact at all on the Default Script Language

What is unclear from your post is whether your little test page started to
fail or just the pages written by your colleague?

Also how did you check the Default Script Language? By creating a Web Share
you have in effect created a new Application in IIS. You need to open the
properties of the asp application in IIS manager, on the virtual directory
tab click Configuration button to open the Application Configuration dialog
then check the Default ASP language on the App Options tab.

Another possiblity is Anti-virus software being a little too aggressive.

Newbie

Newbie said:
[...]

Hi Anthony

Many thanks for the assistance.

In answer to your first point, yes, existing (untouched) and edited by the
network user pages both showed the same error message. Basically none of
the asp pages in the folder worked. Standard html ones were fine, but I
wouldn't expect anything less.

I did check the Default ASP lang on the asp folder and the master properties
via this method. Both were still on vbscript. But then again as these
settings were untouched when I installed IIS and the 'asp folder-located'
pages were working fine on the local WinXP Pro machine before I introduced
the network user I didn't expect there to be an issue on this side of
things.

Aaah - there is Norton AV 2005 on the 'server' WinXP Pro machine. I thought
that only Norton Security would block access, cause issues, etc, but are you
saying that the AV version would as well?

Rgds Robbie

Anthony Jones

Newbie said:
[...]

I have found in the past with a couple my clients that AV software
considered the attempt by IIS to use script engines as malicious and blocked
it. It manifested its self in the way you described.

Another possibillity is security (although this is clutching at straws).
Are you allowing anonymous access to the ASP folder?

You're machines are fully patched?

XP Pro is SP2?