ASP Cookies

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rahul Chatterjee, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. I have a page on my website that sets cookie values and the cookies are
    subsequently accessed across the rest of the webpages. These cookies are set
    in the login page and after the user logs in, the cookie value is accessed
    by a subsequent page to refresh my left navigation bar with a few new
    options. THis was all working until about 2 weeks ago on my test area
    (housed internally) and production area (which is housed at a vendor).

    Now it does not. The code itself is simple and straightforward

    with response
    .Cookies("XXXX").Domain = Application("strRootDomain")
    .Cookies("XXXX")("MemberID") = lngMemberID
    .Cookies("XXXX")("MenuSecLevelID") = intMenuSecLevelID

    end with
    response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MemberID") & "<br>"
    response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MenuSecLevelID")

    At the above display, I can see the values have been assigned to the
    cookies. When I go to the subsequent page to see if I can access the same
    cookies and I put a display same as above, the cookie values come back as
    blank. I am not clearing any cookies to my knowledge until I logoff. This
    test website page was functional until 2 weeks ago. The same code works just
    fine on the live website at the outside vendor

    Can anyone shed some light please

    Thanks in advance

    Rahul Chatterjee, Apr 17, 2007

  2. Rahul wrote on Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:46:42 -0400:

    > I have a page on my website that sets cookie values and the cookies are
    > subsequently accessed across the rest of the webpages. These cookies are
    > set in the login page and after the user logs in, the cookie value is
    > accessed by a subsequent page to refresh my left navigation bar with a few
    > new options. THis was all working until about 2 weeks ago on my test area
    > (housed internally) and production area (which is housed at a vendor).
    >
    > Now it does not. The code itself is simple and straightforward
    >
    > with response
    > .Cookies("XXXX").Domain = Application("strRootDomain")
    > .Cookies("XXXX")("MemberID") = lngMemberID
    > .Cookies("XXXX")("MenuSecLevelID") = intMenuSecLevelID
    >
    > end with
    > response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MemberID") & "<br>"
    > response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MenuSecLevelID")
    >
    > At the above display, I can see the values have been assigned to the
    > cookies. When I go to the subsequent page to see if I can access the same
    > cookies and I put a display same as above, the cookie values come back as
    > blank. I am not clearing any cookies to my knowledge until I logoff. This
    > test website page was functional until 2 weeks ago. The same code works
    > just fine on the live website at the outside vendor
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light please
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Did you check that Application("strRootDomain") has a value? I've had a
    couple of occassions where an Application variable has not been set from
    Application_OnStart, so I ended up putting a check for the variable into
    Session_OnStart and firing the initialisation code if it was missing, which
    pretty much ensures it gets set.

    Also, I'm assuming that the XXXX in your response are your attempt to blank
    out Benesys (which is what you used in the request code), if not then you're
    comparing different cookies.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 17, 2007

  3. "Rahul Chatterjee" <> wrote in message
    > I have a page on my website that sets cookie values and the cookies are
    > subsequently accessed across the rest of the webpages. These cookies are

    set
    > in the login page and after the user logs in, the cookie value is accessed
    > by a subsequent page to refresh my left navigation bar with a few new
    > options. THis was all working until about 2 weeks ago on my test area
    > (housed internally) and production area (which is housed at a vendor).
    >
    > Now it does not. The code itself is simple and straightforward
    >
    > with response
    > .Cookies("XXXX").Domain = Application("strRootDomain")
    > .Cookies("XXXX")("MemberID") = lngMemberID
    > .Cookies("XXXX")("MenuSecLevelID") = intMenuSecLevelID
    >
    > end with
    > response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MemberID") & "<br>"
    > response.write request.cookies("Benesys")("MenuSecLevelID")
    >
    > At the above display, I can see the values have been assigned to the
    > cookies. When I go to the subsequent page to see if I can access the same
    > cookies and I put a display same as above, the cookie values come back as
    > blank. I am not clearing any cookies to my knowledge until I logoff. This
    > test website page was functional until 2 weeks ago. The same code works

    just
    > fine on the live website at the outside vendor
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light please
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Why are you setting the Domain property?

    Anthony Jones, Apr 17, 2007