    data entries using the split function. This seems to work ok but I wondered
    if anyone could suggest a better way?

    Many thanks

    Stephen Read, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Stephen Read

    Ray at Guest

    Parse the data using server-side code? What do you not like the about the
    way you're doing it? What are you looking to improve? What part are you
    stuck on?

    Ray at work

    "Stephen Read" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I need to write an ASP page that will allow a user to paste in
    > data from an Excel spreadsheet. The data will only be in one column. I'm
    > not a web programmer and would like some advice on the best way to do

    this.

    Ray at, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Stephen Read

    Stephen Read Guest

    It's not that I don't like it. It was just that I'm inexperienced in asp
    and wanted to see if it could be done in a more elegant way.

    Thanks,

    message news:...

    Stephen Read, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Stephen Read

    Ray at Guest

    Well, it's hard to say. There are ways to do it with server-side code. Is
    it more elegant? That's open to interpretation, I'm sure. I personally,
    generally speaking, use server-side code whenever I can in favor of relying
    on client-side code that runs in an environment which I cannot control.

    Ray at, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Stephen Read

    Bullschmidt Guest

    You can connect to a csv file (which can be opened in Excel and which an
    Excel file can be converted into) in good form just as you can to a
    regular database.

    And you can have two recordsets open at the same time.

    So I'd suggest going through this recordset one row at a time and within
    this loop add a new record to the "real" database's recordset.

    And for help connecting to a text file using the Jet OLE DB provider:
    http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#O
    LEDBProviderForMicrosoftJetText

    And based on the above link realize that the actual filename does NOT go
    in the connection string - rather it goes in the SQL statement
    (definitely a little tricky).

    Best regards,
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com

    Bullschmidt, Feb 16, 2004