ASP data entry implementation

Stephen Read

Hello,
I need to write an ASP page that will allow a user to paste in
data from an Excel spreadsheet. The data will only be in one column. I'm
not a web programmer and would like some advice on the best way to do this.
I have a page working using a text area and some JavaScript to parse the
data entries using the split function. This seems to work ok but I wondered
if anyone could suggest a better way?

Many thanks

Ray at

Parse the data using server-side code? What do you not like the about the
way you're doing it? What are you looking to improve? What part are you
stuck on?

Ray at work

Stephen Read

It's not that I don't like it. It was just that I'm inexperienced in asp
and wanted to see if it could be done in a more elegant way.

Thanks,

Ray at

Well, it's hard to say. There are ways to do it with server-side code. Is
it more elegant? That's open to interpretation, I'm sure. I personally,
generally speaking, use server-side code whenever I can in favor of relying
on client-side code that runs in an environment which I cannot control.

Ray at work

Bullschmidt

You can connect to a csv file (which can be opened in Excel and which an
Excel file can be converted into) in good form just as you can to a
regular database.

And you can have two recordsets open at the same time.

So I'd suggest going through this recordset one row at a time and within
this loop add a new record to the "real" database's recordset.

And for help connecting to a text file using the Jet OLE DB provider:
http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#O
LEDBProviderForMicrosoftJetText

And based on the above link realize that the actual filename does NOT go
in the connection string - rather it goes in the SQL statement
(definitely a little tricky).

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com