ASP & Database Connection Question

Jennifer

Hi. I don't know a whole bunch about html and asp pages, but I thought

I'd give it a try to see if I could get it to work. I found an example

for a calendar event page from Microsoft at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnas...

So using this example, I saved all the examples for each part of the
code as asp pages. I created a default htm page which opens the asp
pages. The code for that is:

<head>
charset=windows-1252">
<title>Calendar</title>
</head>
<frameset cols="120" border=0 frameborder="0">
<frame name="MAIN" src="calendar.asp" noresize >
</frameset>

I opened this all in Front Page and published it to my local inetpub
directory. When trying to run it, I get the following error:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified
/calendar/Header.asp, line 43

I'm not sure what is causing this. Line 43 on the header.asp page is
blank, but anyway... I did check to make sure my connection string was

correct, with no typos. My modified GetDataConnection function is now:

function GetDataConnection()
dim oConn, strConn
Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

strConn = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1; Persist Security Info=False; "
strConn = strConn & "User Id=CCLead; Password=xxxx;"
strConn = strConn & "Initial Catalog=CC Leadership; "
strConn = strConn & "Data Source=WBCORP501 "

oConn.ConnectionString = strConn
oConn.Open
set GetDataConnection = oConn
end function

I feel sure that I am missing something obvious, but not sure what.
Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Ron Hinds

Jennifer said:
[...]

You are mixing types in your connection string. You are using (in the
beginning) what is known as a "DSN-less" (DSN = Data Source Name)
connection. But then you are providing a DSN (DataSource=WBCORP501). DSNs
are setup using ODBC Manager in Control Panel. Get rid of the data source
line and replace it with "Server=your_SQLServer_name" or
"Server=your_SQLServer_ip_address".
Alternatively, get rid of everything *but* the DataSource= line and setup a
DSN with the name WBCORP501 in ODBC. FYI the best performance will be
obtained using a DSN-less connection (it removes an extra layer of
complexity - i.e., ODBC).