    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Most of the work for the functionality is admin, IMHO.

    The necessary things client-facing should be:

    - view posts (maybe broken down by topic area / author)
    - view archives
    - post comments (anonymous or register/login)
    - subscribe to RSS

    I built one last week that had the above functions, and it took all of two
    days. Yes, there is existing software out there, but I prefer to have
    ownership and design choices on the schema. I also don't like the learning
    curve of someone else's software, if I can avoid it, and the ability to move
    my software to another web server with minimal impact (e.g. uninstall and
    reinstall some blogger crap) was pretty important.

    Optional features include things like allowing users to pick frilly CSS
    things like color scheme or even overall template style.

    For the admin side, authors need to:

    - create / edit posts (and this should automatically update the RSS feed...
    you can have the RSS feed be dynamic, but I prefer to rebuild the XML file
    whenever a change is made... this is much less taxing on the server)
    - remove comments (I know, censorship is bad, but if anonymous posts are
    allowed, they could be callous, slanderous, etc. depends on the type of
    blog and whom it represents, I suppose)
    - view statistics

    --
    Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
    See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 23, 2005

  3. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : The necessary things client-facing should be:
    :
    : - view posts (maybe broken down by topic area / author)
    : - view archives
    : - post comments (anonymous or register/login)
    : - subscribe to RSS

    I've seen some that end discussions and no longer allow posts. I've seen
    some end after a few days. What do you think would be the reasoning for
    ending a discussion that soon or at all? Unless the info is outdated, I'm
    at a loss.

    : I built one last week that had the above functions, and it took all of two
    : days.

    ASP/SQL? All SPs?

    : Yes, there is existing software out there, but I prefer to have
    : ownership and design choices on the schema.

    I agree. Why be limited and why follow a design you may not agree with.
    Then there are copyright issues.

    : I also don't like the learning
    : curve of someone else's software, if I can avoid it, and the ability to
    move
    : my software to another web server with minimal impact (e.g. uninstall and
    : reinstall some blogger crap) was pretty important.

    Did you add, or would it be advisable to add an index for new comments
    within a certain time frame?

    : Optional features include things like allowing users to pick frilly CSS
    : things like color scheme or even overall template style.
    :
    : For the admin side, authors need to:
    :
    : - create / edit posts (and this should automatically update the RSS
    feed...
    : you can have the RSS feed be dynamic, but I prefer to rebuild the XML file
    : whenever a change is made... this is much less taxing on the server)

    Not ever having produced an RSS feed, I'll need to research.

    : - remove comments (I know, censorship is bad, but if anonymous posts are
    : allowed, they could be callous, slanderous, etc. depends on the type of
    : blog and whom it represents, I suppose)

    Should you require a registration to post?

    : - view statistics

    What statistical processing should be included?

    : --
    : Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
    : See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.

    Not sure what at 5006 is relevant here.

    Do you have a working example online?

    Roland Hall, Mar 24, 2005
  4. > What do you think would be the reasoning for
    > ending a discussion that soon or at all?

    - keep focus on current articles?
    - keep the database small (e.g. delete comments for older articles)?

    > ASP/SQL? All SPs?

    Yes, about 80 lines of ASP/HTML code I think, and a half dozen stored
    procedures. Mail me offline and I'll show you... I'm a little afraid of
    what joe public will do to it, since I'm not exactly a fan favorite around
    here. The admin side is a little more complex, but only because I'm an
    overachiever. :)

    > Did you add, or would it be advisable to add an index for new comments
    > within a certain time frame?

    I don't know what you mean. Comments are associated with a posting/article
    whatever you want to call it, and are displayed after the article in either
    ascending or descending order. So if you want to index performance, maybe
    you have this:

    CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPosts
    (
    BlogPostID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
    dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE(),
    title VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    body TEXT
    --, other columns yadda yadda
    )
    GO

    CREATE INDEX dt ON dbo.BlogPosts(dt)
    GO

    CREATE TABLE dbo.BlogPostComments
    (
    BlogPostCommentID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED,
    -- not necessary for the IDENTITY column, but makes it easier
    -- from a management perspective, e.g. Delete comment x
    BlogPostID INT NOT NULL
    FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES dbo.BlogPosts(BlogPostID),
    dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL DEFAULT GETDATE()
    --, name, email, body yadda yadda
    )
    GO

    CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX id_dt ON dbo.BlogPostComments
    (
    BlogPostID,
    dt -- DESC if you want last comment listed first
    )
    GO

    Now, you could get more complicated than that, for example you could show
    replies in a threaded fashion like a newsgroup, so I could reply to a
    comment and it would visually show me that I replied to the comment, not to
    the original article. Most blogs, I think, don't require that level of
    sophistication -- this can lead to recursive queries and poor performance if
    the nesting gets too deep.

    > Not ever having produced an RSS feed, I'll need to research.

    It's really not a lot of work. Basically you just have an XML entry for
    each post, or maybe your feed only shows the most recent 20 articles, or
    only those that were posted or have comments that were posted in the last 3
    days. It can be that dynamic and then some...

    > Should you require a registration to post?

    I think it's a bad idea, unless the user is really going to get something
    out of registering. People tend to shy away from sites that require
    registration.

    Of course, if you don't have registration, there is no accountability, and
    you will become a moderator / babysitter for those that can't keep their
    temper in check or just like to cause problems.

    > What statistical processing should be included?

    I have article views by date range (e.g. What were the top 5 most popular
    articles viewed this week), which articles have the most comments, the most
    recent comments, etc.

    > Not sure what at 5006 is relevant here.

    That's just my signature in Outlook Express on my PC at work. (See the --,
    that's a sig separator.)

    --
    Aaron
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 24, 2005
  5. Roland Hall

    Steven Burn Guest

    > I'm a little afraid of what joe public will do to it,
    > since I'm not exactly a fan favorite around here.

    Tell em all to GFT!! <g>

    Strange isn't it...... not a fan favourite, but when they need something, your site is most often the first one they go to :eek:\

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group