ASP emailing problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Paul Hudson, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Paul Hudson

    Paul Hudson Guest

    Ive developed a web based system where somebody can add a news record using
    ASP and MS Access database connectivity. The new record is inserted into the
    database and then a formatted email gets send to a list of about 30 email
    addresses using CDONTS.

    My emailing ASP script works by looping through a recordset containing the
    email addresses, the text gets formatted, and then it sends, then moves onto
    the next recipient etc etc ...

    I have had reports that on occassion, emails arent being recieved. But the
    record has been inserted into the database table.

    Is it best to loop through recipients and send individually or is it best
    practise to BCC every recipient?

    Im just guessing this is the problem as I cant find any errors in the SMTP
    log and there is no bad or queued mail etc.

    Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Paul.

    --
    Bin the qq's and zz's to email me

    Paul Hudson, Oct 8, 2003

  2. That some of your recipients aren't getting their emails isn't necessarily
    an indication that your script isn't working. If most are receiving fine
    and no errors are being generated, then I would look to the email addresses
    that are failing and verify whether or not they're correct.

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC

    WIlliam Morris, Oct 8, 2003

  3. "Paul Hudson" <> wrote in message
    > Ive developed a web based system where somebody can add a news record

    using
    > ASP and MS Access database connectivity. The new record is inserted into

    the
    > database and then a formatted email gets send to a list of about 30 email
    > addresses using CDONTS.
    >
    > My emailing ASP script works by looping through a recordset containing the
    > email addresses, the text gets formatted, and then it sends, then moves

    onto
    > the next recipient etc etc ...
    >
    > I have had reports that on occassion, emails arent being recieved. But the
    > record has been inserted into the database table.
    >
    > Is it best to loop through recipients and send individually or is it best
    > practise to BCC every recipient?
    >
    > Im just guessing this is the problem as I cant find any errors in the SMTP
    > log and there is no bad or queued mail etc.

    IME CDONTS is unreliable. I suggest you use an smtp component e.g aspemail
    (www.aspemail.com) instead.

    --
    John Blessing

    businesses