ASP emailing problem

Paul Hudson

Ive developed a web based system where somebody can add a news record using
ASP and MS Access database connectivity. The new record is inserted into the
database and then a formatted email gets send to a list of about 30 email
addresses using CDONTS.

My emailing ASP script works by looping through a recordset containing the
email addresses, the text gets formatted, and then it sends, then moves onto
the next recipient etc etc ...

I have had reports that on occassion, emails arent being recieved. But the
record has been inserted into the database table.

Is it best to loop through recipients and send individually or is it best
practise to BCC every recipient?

Im just guessing this is the problem as I cant find any errors in the SMTP
log and there is no bad or queued mail etc.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

WIlliam Morris

That some of your recipients aren't getting their emails isn't necessarily
an indication that your script isn't working. If most are receiving fine
and no errors are being generated, then I would look to the email addresses
that are failing and verify whether or not they're correct.

John Blessing

Paul Hudson said:
Ive developed a web based system where somebody can add a news record using
ASP and MS Access database connectivity. The new record is inserted into the
database and then a formatted email gets send to a list of about 30 email
addresses using CDONTS.

My emailing ASP script works by looping through a recordset containing the
email addresses, the text gets formatted, and then it sends, then moves onto
the next recipient etc etc ...

I have had reports that on occassion, emails arent being recieved. But the
record has been inserted into the database table.

Is it best to loop through recipients and send individually or is it best
practise to BCC every recipient?

Im just guessing this is the problem as I cant find any errors in the SMTP
log and there is no bad or queued mail etc.
IME CDONTS is unreliable. I suggest you use an smtp component e.g aspemail
(www.aspemail.com) instead.

--
John Blessing

businesses