    odbc to access the info. Any ideas? I set up security to make sure
    that I can access it.
    , Mar 8, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > We have an asp script on an NT system that is trying to access a
    > database on an XP server. When it gets to setting up odbc, it gives an
    > error on that line in a particular function but doesn't give details.
    > I can map the network drive by providing username, but I can't use the
    > odbc to access the info. Any ideas? I set up security to make sure
    > that I can access it.

    Sorry, but my crystal ball is out for repair today. If you want help,
    you will have to provide more details:
    1. database type and version
    2. actual error message
    3. line of code that raises the error
    4. intranet or internet? Cross-domain?

    I can't guarantee that more questions won't be raised, but you need to
    provide at least that much detail to get a meaningful reply.

    In the meantime, these might be helpful:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

    Take a look at these before replying. They may contain your answer.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 8, 2007

    On Mar 8, 10:31 am, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > We have an asp script on an NT system that is trying to access a
    > > database on an XP server. When it gets to setting up odbc, it gives an
    > > error on that line in a particular function but doesn't give details.
    > > I can map the network drive by providing username, but I can't use the
    > > odbc to access the info. Any ideas? I set up security to make sure
    > > that I can access it.

    > Sorry, but my crystal ball is out for repair today. If you want help,
    > you will have to provide more details:
    > 1. database type and version
    > 2. actual error message
    > 3. line of code that raises the error
    > 4. intranet or internet? Cross-domain?
    >
    > I can't guarantee that more questions won't be raised, but you need to
    > provide at least that much detail to get a meaningful reply.
    >
    > In the meantime, these might be helpful:http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2...id=2009http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168
    >
    > Take a look at these before replying. They may contain your answer.
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Thanks for the response. It's an ASI ProfitPlus database. Error
    follows:
    Error in ActiveX Server:C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV\INETINFO.EXE
    Object:ASIECOMCLASS Service: DEFCUSTOMERINFO error '800a03e8'
    IVARGET Argument: {(0x0000)0x00000000} CLASS
    /manheim/login.asp, line 139
    Code: Aok = odbservermanager.defcustomerinfo(actn, custno,
    sessnid)
    The ASP is on an NT machine that's accessed via the internet. The code
    accesses the server that holds the database. We've had the database on
    98 and have been using this for years. We're trying to move the
    database to an XP machine, and the code's having a problem at that
    point when it tries to access it. We called the software manufacturer,
    and they were unable to help us. They got a copy of the asp code to
    look at it, but they haven't gotten back to us in a week. I'm figuring
    that it's a security issue, but I've made all the proper settings that
    I know. I can map the XP drive from NT if I provide a username.
    , Mar 9, 2007

    Here's the odbc code. It works if we refer it to the database on 98 or
    a copy of it on the NT machine. It just won't work when accessing the
    XP.
    set odbservermanager = server.createobject( "asiecom.object" )
  5. wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 10:31 am, "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> We have an asp script on an NT system that is trying to access a
    >>> database on an XP server. When it gets to setting up odbc, it gives
    >>> an error on that line in a particular function but doesn't give
    >>> details. I can map the network drive by providing username, but I
    >>> can't use the odbc to access the info. Any ideas? I set up security
    >>> to make sure that I can access it.

    > Thanks for the response. It's an ASI ProfitPlus database.

    I've never heard of this database. I suspect your chances of getting
    help for this will be slim.

    > Error
    > follows:
    > Error in ActiveX Server:C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\INETSRV\INETINFO.EXE
    > Object:ASIECOMCLASS Service: DEFCUSTOMERINFO error '800a03e8'
    > IVARGET Argument: {(0x0000)0x00000000} CLASS
    > /manheim/login.asp, line 139
    > Code: Aok = odbservermanager.defcustomerinfo(actn, custno,
    > sessnid)
    > The ASP is on an NT machine that's accessed via the internet. The code
    > accesses the server that holds the database. We've had the database on
    > 98 and have been using this for years. We're trying to move the
    > database to an XP machine, and the code's having a problem at that
    > point when it tries to access it. We called the software manufacturer,
    > and they were unable to help us. They got a copy of the asp code to
    > look at it, but they haven't gotten back to us in a week. I'm figuring
    > that it's a security issue, but I've made all the proper settings that
    > I know. I can map the XP drive from NT if I provide a username.

    You need to remember that ASP is not running under your security
    context, so your ability to map a drive is totally irrelevant.

    I haven't a clue what security is required for this database, but
    reading the articles I cited in my previous post might shed some light
    for you as to what user account needs those rights.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Mar 9, 2007
  6. lmlaster Guest

    On Mar 8, 9:06 am, wrote:
    > We have an asp script on an NT system that is trying to access a
    > database on an XP server. When it gets to setting up odbc, it gives an
    > error on that line in a particular function but doesn't give details.
    > I can map the network drive by providing username, but I can't use the
    > odbc to access the info. Any ideas? I set up security to make sure
    > that I can access it.

    A couple of comments:
    Are you using an system ODBC dsn. It has to be a system dsn or else
    your web can't use it.

    If you put the Access db on the web server and changed your odbc dsn
    to point to that location, would the web work then. It doesn't really
    matter that the USER logged into the server can access it. Can
    IUSR_servername access it?
    lmlaster, Mar 9, 2007

    > I've never heard of this database. I suspect your chances of getting
    > help for this will be slim.

    That's what I figured, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask. The
    vendor's having a hard time with it.
    Thanks.
    , Mar 12, 2007

    On Mar 9, 3:01 pm, "lmlaster" <> wrote:

    > A couple of comments:
    > Are you using an system ODBC dsn. It has to be a system dsn or else
    > your web can't use it.

    Doesn't appear to be using one.

    > If you put the Access db on the web server and changed your odbc dsn
    > to point to that location, would the web work then. It doesn't really
    > matter that the USER logged into the server can access it. Can
    > IUSR_servername access it?

    I set permission for Everyone to access.
    Thanks.
    , Mar 12, 2007

    > Everyone <> IUSR_servername

    I setup IUSR_servername, and that didn't do it, either. I found the
    NETWORK item in the list of groups/users, and that let me through. It
    works now.

    Thanks again for the responses.
    , Mar 13, 2007