    the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
    this the case?

    , Feb 7, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
    > when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
    > occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
    > when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
    > the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
    > this the case?

    I've never run into this. Could you show the code that is failing to access
    the file?

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Feb 7, 2007

  3. <> wrote in message
    >I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
    > when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
    > occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
    > when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
    > the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
    > this the case?

    Because the hashmark has special meaning in a URL, you'd need to escape it
    in the URL, otherwise the portion after the hashmark is considered to be an
    HTML bookmark.

    -Mark

    Mark J. McGinty, Feb 7, 2007
  4. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 07 feb 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
    > when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
    > occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
    > when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
    > the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
    > this the case?

    Try uploading with form post in stead of [form] querystring!

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 7, 2007
  5. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >I am encountering an error HTTP 404 - File not found. It seems that
    >when I upload a file with a symbol # in the filename, this error
    >occurs (e.g. case#2.pdf). I cannot access the file I uploaded. But
    >when I upload the same file with a different filename or just without
    >the symbol # (e.g. case2.pdf) , it works I can access the file. Why is
    >this the case?

    This is your web site? What server-side process are you using to
    receive the file? The "#" sign character is an unusual one to find in
    a file name (and has a special meaning in a URL), and it may be that
    whatever is handling the file on the server side just can't handle
    that character.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)