ASP Error Messages not getting to the Client with IIS5.1 on XP Pro

Lance Wynn

Hello All,
In case the subject wasn't completely clear, I just upgraded to Windows
XP Pro from Windows 2000 Pro. All my ASP stuff seems to work, except that
when an ASP page generates an error, and the Error handling is set to "On
Error Goto 0" the page just stops, as if I typed a response.end, and no
error information is returned to the client. If I set On Error Resume Next,
and write err.desc after the offending line, the error text is written
correctly. For debug purposes of course it is nice to be able to
immediately see the line number, and description though.

Anyway, does anybody know what setting I need to change to fix this? I have
server side, and client side debug set, and I have it set to send detailed
errors to the asp page.

Another interesting thing is if there is a compile-time error, like a syntax
error, or something, the page doesn't load, but I get the error message
until an error happens with the above condition, after that, it will just
return a blank page.

Has anybody seen this behavior before?
Thanks
Lance Wynn

Lance Wynn

Thanks for the reply,
but unfortunately the kb article does not describe exactly what I'm
experiencing, and the remedies were also ineffectual.

When an error is encountered, rather than sending a 500 message, or any
generic message, it just halts processing. for example, the following ASP
code would generate the following results on the client browser

*-ASP
CODE-----------------------------------------------------------------------
<HTML>
<BODY>
<%
on error goto 0
%>
Here is some HTML code
<%
err.raise 4321, "MyAspPage","This is my error"
%>
Here is code after the error
</BODY>
</HTML>
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

*----Below is what gets sent to the
browser-------------------------------------
<HTML>
<BODY>
Here is some HTML code
-----

Response.buffer is set to true, but there is no difference if I set it to
false. The page still stops, and all html written before the error is sent
to the browser, but nothing after the error occurs is sent.

Thanks for your insights.
Lance