ASP Error Messages not getting to the Client with IIS5.1 on XP Pro

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lance Wynn, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. Lance Wynn

    Lance Wynn Guest

    Hello All,
    In case the subject wasn't completely clear, I just upgraded to Windows
    XP Pro from Windows 2000 Pro. All my ASP stuff seems to work, except that
    when an ASP page generates an error, and the Error handling is set to "On
    Error Goto 0" the page just stops, as if I typed a response.end, and no
    error information is returned to the client. If I set On Error Resume Next,
    and write err.desc after the offending line, the error text is written
    correctly. For debug purposes of course it is nice to be able to
    immediately see the line number, and description though.

    Anyway, does anybody know what setting I need to change to fix this? I have
    server side, and client side debug set, and I have it set to send detailed
    errors to the asp page.

    Another interesting thing is if there is a compile-time error, like a syntax
    error, or something, the page doesn't load, but I get the error message
    until an error happens with the above condition, after that, it will just
    return a blank page.

    Has anybody seen this behavior before?
    Thanks
    Lance Wynn

    Lance Wynn, Jan 21, 2004

  2. http://www.aspfaq.com/2109

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Jan 21, 2004

  3. Lance Wynn

    Lance Wynn Guest

    Thanks for the reply,
    but unfortunately the kb article does not describe exactly what I'm
    experiencing, and the remedies were also ineffectual.

    When an error is encountered, rather than sending a 500 message, or any
    generic message, it just halts processing. for example, the following ASP
    code would generate the following results on the client browser

    *-ASP
    CODE-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    <HTML>
    <BODY>
    <%
    on error goto 0
    %>
    Here is some HTML code
    <%
    err.raise 4321, "MyAspPage","This is my error"
    %>
    Here is code after the error
    </BODY>
    </HTML>
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----

    *----Below is what gets sent to the
    browser-------------------------------------
    <HTML>
    <BODY>
    Here is some HTML code
    -----

    Response.buffer is set to true, but there is no difference if I set it to
    false. The page still stops, and all html written before the error is sent
    to the browser, but nothing after the error occurs is sent.

    Thanks for your insights.
    Lance

    Lance Wynn, Jan 21, 2004