ASP & Excel (problem reading cells)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Alliet, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. David Alliet

    David Alliet Guest

    Hello,

    I'm having a bit of a problem with ASP and Excel. A client has developed
    his own program, which calculates alot of financial stuff, in excel. I'm
    doing his websites and he has requested the ability to do the same thing
    his program does, but through the website. Because his excel program is
    a dozen worksheets (all packed with endless rows of formulas) long, i
    thought it'd use excel as backbone of the webprogram (don't worry, the
    website doesn't get much hits and i have made sure by copying the xls
    file with the FSO and giving it an unique name that nobody can read/edit
    the same xls file at the same time).

    The two most vital things i do in ASP is updating the xls file with user
    inputted variables, and then reading the calculations of the xls file
    and write that out to the client. I use ADO and the ODBC driver for
    Excel. I however can't seem to read the cells that contain complex
    formulas, specially financial formulas like these: =PMT($F11;$D$4;-$D$2)
    in which the function arguments are values i previously inputted in the
    worksheet using ASP. If i open the xls file manually and look what's in
    this cell i see the output of the calculation just like it's intended.
    When i read this cell through code it displays 0. I also have similar
    problems with the IF() function.

    I've tried with blocking the cells, unblocking the cells, protecting the
    worksheet, everything i could think of really. Does anybody know how i
    can get to the output of these type of formulas?

    thanks,

    David

    David Alliet, Oct 23, 2003