ASP hang on XP IIS 5.1

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ido Zur, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Ido Zur

    Ido Zur Guest

    The problem:

    We have ASP application that uses WSC as data access tier
    to SQL Server, and it runs well on windows 2000 server
    IIS 5.0.
    When we install the application on XP with IIS 5.1 the
    browser hang from time to time.
    When testing with a network sniffer we found out that
    sometimes the browser request an ASP page and don't get a
    response from the server.
    When the browser hangs there are no errors in the event
    log and the appication is working from another browser.
    It's not a specific ASP page that stops responding, but
    it usually happens after the browser is left for few
    minutes without clicking (even though the session is not
    over yet).
    there are not 3rd party objects in the server,
    and we made sure that we used server side objects.
    It seems that after upgrading the script engine in the XP
    to 6.5.0.8515 the problem disappears.

    Is there a know problem with the script engine 5.6.0.6626
    that ships with XP? Or did we make a mistake in the ASP
    scripts?

    We need to explain something to our customers.

    Thanks
    Ido Zur
    Ido Zur, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Ido Zur

    Ray at Guest

    Are you using the FSO in these pages that hang?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Mar 2, 2004

  3. Ido Zur

    Ido Zur Guest

    No FSO, and on the test machine we don't have anti virus
    as well, just clean XP SP1 with SQL server 2000 SP3 and
    Java machine from Sun.

    thanks

    Ido

    Ido Zur, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Ido Zur

    Ray at Guest

    Okay, then we'll have to see a relevant code snippet that is causing the
    hang.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Mar 2, 2004
  5. Ido Zur

    Guest Guest

    Dear Ray

    we don't know where to look for. we have an empty ASP
    page that we call every 5 mintures just to refresh the
    session timer, and even this page hangs occasionaly.

    the only clue is that Pat from the "General" IIS newgroup
    read the output of the IISState utility and said that the
    threads are working fines but there is an ASP thread that
    is trying to cleanup something and it waits.

    and of course the fact that the update script engine made
    the problem disapear.

    thanks

    Ido Zur

    in

    Guest, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Ido Zur

    Ray at Guest

    Well, I think that one of the first things you have to examine is the code.
    Are there any loops? Is it the same page all the time? Aside from the code
    and your network sniffing, it couldn't hurt to [re]install service packs and
    things like that, as well.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Mar 3, 2004