ASP / HTML Tree

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by MadMike42, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. MadMike42

    MadMike42 Guest

    Hi,
    I'm writing a simple forum for a music web site and I have been
    trying to find some example code to help me but a ' tree '
    together, let me explain:-

    Posted new messages will show on the left of the page
    any replies to a post will show as:-
    +PostedMessage(3)
    so when the user presses the + it will show
    -PostedMessage(3)
    Reply 1
    Reply 2
    Reply 3
    Press the - and it shows as the first step.
    (see below)

    As the page is using ASP and database links I can not mix
    Javascript (which I do not know)

    Has anyone got some example code ?

    Thanks
    Mike.

    Example:-

    + Message Hello (1)
    Message Goodbye
    + Message life (3)
    Message Hello again
    - Message Example (2)
    reply to Message Example
    reply to Message Example
    Another Message
    + More Messages (3)

    MadMike42, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "MadMike42" <>
    writing in news:i%9Bg.3194$:

    > Hi,
    > I'm writing a simple forum for a music web site and I have been
    > trying to find some example code to help me but a ' tree '
    > together, let me explain:-

    No need. You want threaded discussion similar to a newsreader, or Google
    Groups (shudder). Probably your best bet is to use definition list
    markup with CSS to style it appropriately.

    There are several boards already packaged up that you could probably take
    a look at and adopt to your own needs.

    You might also want to post to comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets
    for hints on the CSS.

    --