ASP Include of an XML file

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by VBH, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. VBH

    VBH Guest

    This is probably a silly question but...

    I have an XML file which processes quite happily with XSL when opened on
    its own.

    However, I just want to include it in an ASP file. But when I do an
    SSI, the XML is not reformatted by the XSL.

    As in:
    <!-- #INCLUDE FILE="2003-06.XML" -->

    The XML file includes
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="blog2.xsl"?>

    Which works fine when the XML file is opened on its own. However when I
    try it as an SSI, I just get the text as one long string.

    Its for a site front page and is the XML blog for "what's new". I've
    written my own blogging app which outputs xml files. I don't want to
    put a load of processing into the front page that I have already handled
    with XSL.

    So how do you do an ASP SSI of an XML document and get it to fire the XSL?

    Any suggestions?

    TIA
    --------------------
    VBH

    VBH, Oct 1, 2004

  2. VBH wrote:
    > This is probably a silly question but...
    >
    > I have an XML file which processes quite happily with XSL when opened
    > on its own.
    >
    > However, I just want to include it in an ASP file. But when I do an
    > SSI, the XML is not reformatted by the XSL.
    >
    > As in:
    > <!-- #INCLUDE FILE="2003-06.XML" -->
    >
    > The XML file includes
    > <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href= "blog2.xsl" ?>
    >
    > Which works fine when the XML file is opened on its own. However
    > when I try it as an SSI, I just get the text as one long string.
    >
    > Its for a site front page and is the XML blog for "what's new". I've
    > written my own blogging app which outputs xml files. I don't want to
    > put a load of processing into the front page that I have already
    > handled with XSL.
    >
    > So how do you do an ASP SSI of an XML document and get it to fire the
    > XSL?
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA
    > --------------------
    > VBH

    Use the transformNode method of the dom document to transform the document.
    (you'll have to remove the ?xml-stylesheet tag)

    set xmldoc=createobject("msxml.domdocument")
    xmldoc.load("2003-06.XML")
    set xsldoc=createobject("msxml.domdocument")
    xmldoc.load("blog2.xsl")
    response.write xmldoc.transformnode(xsldoc)

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 1, 2004

  3. VBH

    VBH Guest

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:

    > VBH wrote:
    >
    >>This is probably a silly question but...
    >>
    >>I have an XML file which processes quite happily with XSL when opened
    >>on its own.
    >>
    >>However, I just want to include it in an ASP file. But when I do an
    >>SSI, the XML is not reformatted by the XSL.
    >>
    >>As in:
    >><!-- #INCLUDE FILE="2003-06.XML" -->
    >>
    >>The XML file includes
    >><?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href= "blog2.xsl" ?>
    >>
    >>Which works fine when the XML file is opened on its own. However
    >>when I try it as an SSI, I just get the text as one long string.
    >>
    >>Its for a site front page and is the XML blog for "what's new". I've
    >>written my own blogging app which outputs xml files. I don't want to
    >>put a load of processing into the front page that I have already
    >>handled with XSL.
    >>
    >>So how do you do an ASP SSI of an XML document and get it to fire the
    >>XSL?
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>--------------------
    >>VBH

    > Use the transformNode method of the dom document to transform the document.
    > (you'll have to remove the ?xml-stylesheet tag)
    >
    > set xmldoc=createobject("msxml.domdocument")
    > xmldoc.load("2003-06.XML")
    > set xsldoc=createobject("msxml.domdocument")
    > xmldoc.load("blog2.xsl")
    > response.write xmldoc.transformnode(xsldoc)
    >
    > Bob Barrows

    I'd just come to that conclusion. I was hoping I was making some simple
    syntactic error. At least this little chunk of code is not too excessive :)

    Thanks
    VBH

    VBH, Oct 1, 2004