ASP JavaScript versus ASP VBScript

John Davis

When I create new documents in Dreamweaver, there are several choices for
ASP creation:
ASP JavaScript: run at client side??
ASP VBScript: run at server side??
ASP.NET C#
ASP.NET VB

I don't understand the differences between ASP JavaScript and ASP VBScript??
Because JavaScript is client-side technology, and ASP is server side
technology. I think VBScript is used to implement ASP pages.

Here's the header differences from the code generator:
<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

If I put the following in both ASP JavaScript and ASP VBScript, it works
both. But this is JavaScript.
<SCRIPT>
<!--
d = new Date();
document.write (d);
//-->
</SCRIPT>

Please advise,
John

Curt_C [MVP]

both can be used as serverside and both can be used clientside.
VBScript clientside will only work with IE and is not ASP related.
Javascript on the Server is uncommon and in my opion not a good tool for the
job.

Personally I always use VBScript for ASP and javascript for clientside
coding.

Brian Staff

Curt,

I, too, use VBScript for server-side and JavaScript for client-side code,
but I'm interested in your reasons for not liking JavaScript for server-side
code. I would have thought that error detection is reason enough to
encourage JavaScript.

Brian

Curt_C [MVP]

predominately because it's too easy for people to think that they are
interacting with the client as if it was clientside.... Without a
distinction it's too easy to fall into the wrong mindset. Also, VBScript has
fine error setup if done properly plus it has so many builtin components to
interact with the server that I'm not aware of in javascript.. (mind you I'm
talking javascript and NOT jscript).

mStar

If you're working off of a .NET server, I highly recommend C#. This
language is great (since it's virtually identical to Java), and it's easy to
maintain your code.

Curt_C [MVP]

But that's a beast of a different color...

And yes I agree... C# with ASP.NET is a wonderful platform. I have shifted
to it almost 100% myself.