    sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!! I am really going nuts
    here!
    thanks
    Ammar, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Ammar

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:23:25 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all...
    >Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local web
    >server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)?

    That would be a FAQ:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

    >what are the necessary setting needed
    >in IIS to enable mail sending?

    That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.

    >and how can i send mail??

    See the FAQ.

    >I tried many web
    >sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!!

    Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
    don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
    acronyms.

    Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
    symptoms and error messages you've posted.

    >I am really going nuts
    >here!

    Most of us have been nuts for years.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:23:25 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all...
    > >Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local web
    > >server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)?

    > That would be a FAQ:
    >
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
    >
    > >what are the necessary setting needed
    > >in IIS to enable mail sending?

    > That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.
    >
    > >and how can i send mail??

    > See the FAQ.
    >
    > >I tried many web
    > >sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!!

    > Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
    > don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
    > acronyms.
    >
    > Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
    > symptoms and error messages you've posted.
    >
    > >I am really going nuts
    > >here!

    > Most of us have been nuts for years.
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks,
    the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
    software like JMail, but i was wondering, cant i send e mail from my local
    IIS without a third party mail? i mean if i uppload my web page to an ASP
    host that runs only IIS and no other softwares, how can i send e mails form
    that server then??
    Am i missing something here? maybe i am asking something very stupid or
    basic but i am new to ASP
    Ammar
    Ammar, Jun 17, 2004
  4. "Ammar" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:23:25 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi all...
    > > >Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local

    web
    > > >server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)?

    > > That would be a FAQ:
    > >
    > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
    > >
    > > >what are the necessary setting needed
    > > >in IIS to enable mail sending?

    > > That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.
    > >
    > > >and how can i send mail??

    > > See the FAQ.
    > >
    > > >I tried many web
    > > >sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!!

    > > Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
    > > don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
    > > acronyms.
    > >
    > > Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
    > > symptoms and error messages you've posted.
    > >
    > > >I am really going nuts
    > > >here!

    > > Most of us have been nuts for years.
    > >
    > > Jeff

    > Thanks,
    > the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
    > software like JMail,

    No - you don't. Did you read the FAQ? Make sure you install the SMTP
    service with IIS.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Jun 17, 2004
  5. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Ammar" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message

    > web
    > > >
    > > > That would be a FAQ:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

    > > > That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.

    > > > See the FAQ.

    > > > Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
    > > > don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
    > > > acronyms.
    > > >
    > > > Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
    > > > symptoms and error messages you've posted.

    > > > Most of us have been nuts for years.
    > > >
    > > > Jeff

    > > Thanks,
    > > the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
    > > software like JMail,

    > No - you don't. Did you read the FAQ? Make sure you install the SMTP
    > service with IIS.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > http://www.iisfaq.com/
    > http://www.iistoolshed.com/ - tools, scripts, and utilities for running

    IIS
    > http://www.tryiis.com

    OK huys
    finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP mail!!
    one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and NOT
    CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
    Thanks
    Ammar
    Ammar, Jun 17, 2004
  6. Ammar

    Ammar Guest

    > OK huys
    > finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP mail!!
    > one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and

    NOT
    > CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
    > Thanks
    > Ammar

    to explain more....
    i used the .AddAttachment method, but i get an error all the time:

    a.. Error Type:
    CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
    The specified protocol is unknown.
    /mail.asp, line 20

    line 20 is:

    .AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"

    i tried several file pathes with the same result...

    what to do?

    Ammar
    Ammar, Jun 17, 2004
  7. Ammar

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Ammar" wrote in message news:3uoAc.96233$...
    :
    : > >
    : > >
    : > OK huys
    : > finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP
    mail!!
    : > one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and
    : NOT
    : > CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
    : > Thanks
    : > Ammar
    : >
    : to explain more....
    : i used the .AddAttachment method, but i get an error all the time:
    :
    : a.. Error Type:
    : CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
    : The specified protocol is unknown.
    : /mail.asp, line 20
    :
    : line 20 is:
    :
    : .AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"
    :
    : i tried several file pathes with the same result...
    :
    : what to do?

    Why are you trying to attach your boot.ini file which is read-only, hidden
    and system attributed?

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Jun 18, 2004
  8. Ammar

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:26:12 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:23:25 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi all...
    >> >Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local web
    >> >server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)?

    >> That would be a FAQ:
    >>
    >> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
    >>
    >> >what are the necessary setting needed
    >> >in IIS to enable mail sending?

    >> That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.
    >>
    >> >and how can i send mail??

    >> See the FAQ.
    >>
    >> >I tried many web
    >> >sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!!

    >> Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
    >> don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
    >> acronyms.
    >>
    >> Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
    >> symptoms and error messages you've posted.
    >>
    >> >I am really going nuts
    >> >here!

    >> Most of us have been nuts for years.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >Thanks,
    >the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
    >software like JMail, but i was wondering, cant i send e mail from my local
    >IIS without a third party mail?

    Did you actually read the FAQ?

    The first two sentences:

    "There are several components that enable you to do this. You may
    already have one, if you have an SMTP server installed alongside IIS -
    it's called CDO.Message."

    So, you don't need a third party email component like JMail.

    > i mean if i uppload my web page to an ASP
    >host that runs only IIS and no other softwares, how can i send e mails form
    >that server then??

    Via whatever method that host supports.

    >Am i missing something here? maybe i am asking something very stupid or
    >basic but i am new to ASP

    It's not stupid, but if you're uploading to a host you can't control,
    you need to use whatever method that host has available for sending
    email. If you can install components, then you can use a third party
    component if you wish. Read the FAQ and look at the options listed.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jun 18, 2004
  9. Ammar

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:58:23 GMT, "Ammar" <>
    wrote:

    >> OK huys
    >> finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP mail!!
    >> one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and

    >NOT
    >> CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
    >> Thanks
    >> Ammar
    >>

    >to explain more....
    >i used the .AddAttachment method, but i get an error all the time:
    >
    >a.. Error Type:
    >CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
    >The specified protocol is unknown.
    >/mail.asp, line 20
    >
    >line 20 is:
    >
    > .AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"
    >
    >i tried several file pathes with the same result...
    >
    >what to do?

    Try a sample text file, in the web folder itself. Not a hidden,
    read-only file on a drive the IUSR account may not have access to
    (shouldn't have at least).

    Also, Google for "ASP CDO Attachment" and you'll find examples of
    specific code.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jun 18, 2004