ASP mail IIS server

Ammar

Hi all...
Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local web
server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)? what are the necessary setting needed
in IIS to enable mail sending? and how can i send mail?? I tried many web
sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!! I am really going nuts
here!
thanks

Jeff Cochran

Hi all...
Could anyone please tell me how to use ASP to send mail from my local web
server (using IIS on wWindowsXP-pro)?

That would be a FAQ:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
what are the necessary setting needed
in IIS to enable mail sending?

That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.
and how can i send mail??

See the FAQ.
I tried many web
sited but the codes I get simply dont work at all!!!

Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
acronyms.

Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
symptoms and error messages you've posted.
I am really going nuts
here!

Most of us have been nuts for years.

Jeff

Ammar

Jeff Cochran said:
That would be a FAQ:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

That depends on the method. See the FAQ above.

See the FAQ.

Could be you're low on SMTP fluid in your IIS server. Make sure you
don't add "STP" it's a lower grade and only works with three letter
acronyms.

Or maybe that's not it at all. Hard to tell from the extensive
symptoms and error messages you've posted.

Most of us have been nuts for years.

Jeff

Thanks,
the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
software like JMail, but i was wondering, cant i send e mail from my local
IIS without a third party mail? i mean if i uppload my web page to an ASP
host that runs only IIS and no other softwares, how can i send e mails form
that server then??
Am i missing something here? maybe i am asking something very stupid or
basic but i am new to ASP
Ammar

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Ammar

Tom Kaminski said:
No - you don't. Did you read the FAQ? Make sure you install the SMTP
service with IIS.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Ammar

OK huys
finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP mail!!
one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and NOT
CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
Thanks
Ammar
to explain more....
i used the .AddAttachment method, but i get an error all the time:

a.. Error Type:
CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
The specified protocol is unknown.
/mail.asp, line 20

line 20 is:

.AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"

i tried several file pathes with the same result...

what to do?

Ammar

Roland Hall

in message :
: > >
: > >
: > OK huys
: > finally i made it!! it is wonderful! i managed to send my first ASP
mail!!
: > one thing left, i souldnt find how to send attachements through CDO (and
: NOT
: > CDONTS) obj. can anyone help
: > Thanks
: > Ammar
: >
:
: a.. Error Type:
: CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
: The specified protocol is unknown.
: /mail.asp, line 20
:
: line 20 is:
:
: .AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"
:
: i tried several file pathes with the same result...
:
: what to do?

Why are you trying to attach your boot.ini file which is read-only, hidden
and system attributed?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Jeff Cochran

Thanks,
the way i understand it, is that i have to install a third party e-mail
software like JMail, but i was wondering, cant i send e mail from my local
IIS without a third party mail?

Did you actually read the FAQ?

The first two sentences:

"There are several components that enable you to do this. You may
already have one, if you have an SMTP server installed alongside IIS -
it's called CDO.Message."

So, you don't need a third party email component like JMail.
i mean if i uppload my web page to an ASP
host that runs only IIS and no other softwares, how can i send e mails form
that server then??

Via whatever method that host supports.
Am i missing something here? maybe i am asking something very stupid or
basic but i am new to ASP

It's not stupid, but if you're uploading to a host you can't control,
you need to use whatever method that host has available for sending
email. If you can install components, then you can use a third party
component if you wish. Read the FAQ and look at the options listed.

Jeff

Jeff Cochran

to explain more....
i used the .AddAttachment method, but i get an error all the time:

a.. Error Type:
CDO.Message.1 (0x800C000D)
The specified protocol is unknown.
/mail.asp, line 20

line 20 is:

.AddAttachment "c:\boot.ini"

i tried several file pathes with the same result...

what to do?

Try a sample text file, in the web folder itself. Not a hidden,
read-only file on a drive the IUSR account may not have access to
(shouldn't have at least).

Also, Google for "ASP CDO Attachment" and you'll find examples of
specific code.

Jeff