asp memory leaks

Rob Baker

I am using traditinal asp in IIS6 and seem to be experiencing memory
leaks problems that I did not have or at least did not seem to notice
as much when I was running the same code under IIS5. There may be
unclosed connections/recordsets and/or connections/recrodsets that
have not be set = nothing in the code. Two questions

1. Is IIS6 less forgiving of this?

2. If you do not close recordset or connection objects or set them
equal to nothing is there some sort of garbage collection going on in
asp that will release the memory anyway.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Rob Baker said:
I am using traditinal asp in IIS6 and seem to be experiencing memory
leaks problems that I did not have or at least did not seem to notice
as much when I was running the same code under IIS5. There may be
unclosed connections/recordsets and/or connections/recrodsets that
have not be set = nothing in the code. Two questions

1. Is IIS6 less forgiving of this? Unlikely
2. If you do not close recordset or connection objects or set them
equal to nothing is there some sort of garbage collection going on in
asp that will release the memory anyway.
Officially, it would not and should not happen, even if you forget to close,
the destructors in COM code, and especially in the super tested and stressed
ADODB system, would close and free resources.

I would suspect, your session usage. Are you storing objects inside the
session? (That system, still does not trigger the destructor code
consequently)...

Another thing, you can configure your IIS application (see COM+ application
pool) to reset after a certain amount of memory usage or after an idle time/

Rob Baker

Thanks for the reply. I am not storing objects inside the session.
Perhaps I should be more explicit, the excessive memory usage seemed
to be happening in the sql server process, although since it is only
asp accessing the database I presume the problem originates from the
asp code.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Rob Baker said:
Thanks for the reply. I am not storing objects inside the session.
Perhaps I should be more explicit, the excessive memory usage seemed
to be happening in the sql server process, although since it is only
asp accessing the database I presume the problem originates from the
asp code.

sure. If you have been patched against the slammer worm, the excessive usage
must be because of unoptimized SQL statements. And Win2003 is able to
process more asp pages per second, so you also can expect a memory usage
increase for SQL.