    2. If you do not close recordset or connection objects or set them
    equal to nothing is there some sort of garbage collection going on in
    asp that will release the memory anyway.
    Rob Baker, Nov 25, 2003

  2. "Rob Baker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am using traditinal asp in IIS6 and seem to be experiencing memory
    > leaks problems that I did not have or at least did not seem to notice
    > as much when I was running the same code under IIS5. There may be
    > unclosed connections/recordsets and/or connections/recrodsets that
    > have not be set = nothing in the code. Two questions
    >
    > 1. Is IIS6 less forgiving of this?

    Unlikely
    > 2. If you do not close recordset or connection objects or set them
    > equal to nothing is there some sort of garbage collection going on in
    > asp that will release the memory anyway.

    Officially, it would not and should not happen, even if you forget to close,
    the destructors in COM code, and especially in the super tested and stressed
    ADODB system, would close and free resources.

    I would suspect, your session usage. Are you storing objects inside the
    session? (That system, still does not trigger the destructor code
    consequently)...

    Another thing, you can configure your IIS application (see COM+ application
    pool) to reset after a certain amount of memory usage or after an idle time/
    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Nov 25, 2003

  3. Rob Baker

    Rob Baker Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I am not storing objects inside the session.
    Perhaps I should be more explicit, the excessive memory usage seemed
    to be happening in the sql server process, although since it is only
    asp accessing the database I presume the problem originates from the
    asp code.

    Rob Baker, Nov 25, 2003
  4. "Rob Baker" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply. I am not storing objects inside the session.
    > Perhaps I should be more explicit, the excessive memory usage seemed
    > to be happening in the sql server process, although since it is only
    > asp accessing the database I presume the problem originates from the
    > asp code.

    sure. If you have been patched against the slammer worm, the excessive usage
    must be because of unoptimized SQL statements. And Win2003 is able to
    process more asp pages per second, so you also can expect a memory usage
    increase for SQL.
    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Nov 26, 2003