asp:menu fails when vbscript present on page

BooGhost

Some background:
1. I've got a master page with an asp:Menu using an XML sitemap.
2. A page that uses the master page has an object tag (instancing an
activex control)
3. This activex control exposes an event:
onSelectionChanged(parameter)

4. The suggested/preferred method of wiring up this event (according
to the control manufacturer) is to place a vbscript block on the page
with a vbs event handler that calls a javascript function:

Sub control_SelectionChanged(parameter)
onControlSelectionChanged(parameter)
End Sub

--- js:
function onControlSelectionChanged(parameter) {
// Do the change stuff here
}

The problem: It seems that when a vbscript block exists on a page
with an asp:menu control, when you hover over a menu item a javascript
error occurs:

A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 273
Error: 'tagName' is null or not an object

Now, this error occures as well if the vbscript block is empty. It
does not seem to mapper whether there is any vbscript at all, just
that the vb script block exists.

I suppose I will find a different menu system. But that would be
annoying. Is there a work around to this? Is it possible to wire up
activex control events with javascript without hving to rely on vbs?

Thanks!