<asp:Menu>

Mark Rae

Hi,

I'm interested in what people think of the new <asp:Menu> control in
comparison to other 3rd-party menu controls. E.g. until v2, I used the AITOC
FlexMenu (http://www.aitoc.com/en/flex_menu_net.html) with no significant
problems. However, now that I've had a chance to evaluate the built-in
<asp:Menu> control, I find that it does everything I currently require.

I'm also interested to know if people are hardcoding the menu in the <Items
/> tag or creating the menu dynamically either from a (Xml) datasource or in
code?

Mark

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I like the new menu control enough I created one for 1.1. More of an
exercise to use the same XML file to make a site easier to upgrade to 2.0.

Usually, I use XML in the directory, as the menu does not normally change
from deploy to deploy on the sites I am working on. I see dynamic generation
as a rarety, as you have a lot of flexibility in the XML.

--
Gregory A. Beamer

Think Outside the Box!

Mark Rae

Demetri,
I am confused, are you Tom? I did answer the question he asked I believe.

Looks like my newsgroup reader has got its knickers in a twist - again!
But, to answer yours, I am a strong proponent of Microsoft products. The
reason being is that I'd much rather have something constructed by the
source than a 3rd party. My basis for that is, go take a look at the
controls themselves using Reflector, they are EXTREMELY well constructed
with extensibility in mind.

Yes, I'd generally agree with that. Like I mentioned in my OP, I've moved
away from my previously preferred 3rd-party component in favour of the new
Microsoft one...
In addition, third party components (most of them at least) are not as
simple as drag and drop. Rather, they require you to copy scripts, manually
make references to stylesheets and scripts. Microsoft understand that most
people don't want to be bothered with all of that but like the ease of drag
and drop and get to more important things.

Ah, well now there we fundamentally disagree. I (almost) never drag and drop
components from the Toolbox, much preferring to code things myself. This is
especially true of the ADO components...
Anyway, that's my 30 second 2 cents worth.

Thanks for it.

Mark