ASP namespace strong type access for dynamically loaded user control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Greg James, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Greg James

    Greg James Guest

    ASP namespace strong type access for dynamically loaded user control
    (web application, not web site)

    I have a user control in a web application which I dynamically load
    from an aspx page as follows:
    UserControl ctl = Page.LoadControl("./User Controls/
    MailForwardingGrid2.ascx") as UserControl;
    form1.Controls.Add(ctl);

    This works fine.

    I have added 2 properties to the user control and would like to load
    the strong type version of the user control in order to set the new
    parameters at runtime. I would like to do something like the
    following:
    ASP.usercontrols_MailForwardingGrid2_ascx ctrl =
    (ASP.usercontrols_MailForwardingGrid2_ascx)Page.LoadControl("./User
    Controls/MailForwardingGrid2.ascx");
    ctrl.SourceTypeID = Int32.Parse(context);
    ctrl.SourceID = id;

    Unfortunately, the ASP namespace is not showing my user control (the
    ASP namespace is not showing up at all).

    I have tried "<%@ Register ... " and "<%@ Reference ... " to no avail
    as follows:

    <%@ Register Src="User Controls/MailForwardingGrid2.ascx"
    TagName="MailForwardingGrid2"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>
    <%@ Reference Control="User Controls/MailForwardingGrid2.ascx" %>

    I access user controls through the ASP namespace from web sites all
    the time but the current failure is from a web application.

    Advice?

    -------------------------------------
    DETAILS:
    Here is the page from which I am attempting to access the user
    control...

    CodeBehind="DisplayForm.aspx.cs"
    Inherits="WebApplication1.DisplayForm" %>

    <%@ Register Src="User Controls/MailForwardingGrid2.ascx"
    TagName="MailForwardingGrid2"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>

    <%@ Reference Control="User Controls/MailForwardingGrid2.ascx" %>

    <%@ Register Assembly="DevExpress.Web.v8.1, Version=8.1.1.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9b171c9fd64da1d1"
    Namespace="DevExpress.Web.ASPxPopupControl" TagPrefix="dxpc" %>

    <%@ Register Assembly="AjaxControlToolkit"
    Namespace="AjaxControlToolkit" TagPrefix="AjaxToolkit" %>

    <head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>

    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </form>

    Here is the body of the user control:
    namespace WebApplication1.User_Controls
    {

    public partial class MailForwardingGrid2 :
    System.Web.UI.UserControl
    {
    // NCR.Rads.MailForwarding.BusinessObjects.MailForwardInfoList
    infoList =
    NCR.Rads.MailForwarding.BusinessObjects.MailForwardInfoList.GetMailForwardInfoList(SourceContext,
    SourceId);
    MailForwardInfoList objList;

    objList = MailForwardInfoList.GetMailForwardInfoList(1,
    "p000196");
    //objList =
    MailForwardInfoList.GetMailForwardInfoList(SourceTypeID, SourceID);
    gvMailForwardingTemplate.DataSource = objList;
    gvMailForwardingTemplate.KeyFieldName = "InvoiceId";
    gvMailForwardingTemplate.DataBind();
    }

    private int sourceTypeID;
    public int SourceTypeID
    {
    get { return sourceTypeID; }
    set { sourceTypeID = value; }
    }

    private string sourceID;
    public string SourceID
    {
    get { return sourceID; }
    set { sourceID = value; }
    }

    //
    //protected void CslaDataSource1_SelectMethod(object sender,
    Csla.Web.SelectObjectArgs e)
    //{
    // e.BusinessObject = objList;

    //}