ASP.NET 1.1 Application Load Time

Frank Walsh

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem when my asp.net 1.1 application starts. It
appears that when the application has not been used for 12 hours or so...I
experience a much longer load time then if the application was loaded
recently. I attempted to do some research on the subject and found a few
sites that talk about pre-compiling, which i attempted to do, however it
doesn't look like this helps if your application is unloaded do to
inactivity.

Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions out there?

Thanks,

Frank Walsh

Guest

The application clears itself after (n) minutes, this is by design.
You can prolong the length through various IIS and ASP.NET settings though
if you must. Look at the timeout settings, in particular the application ones

Frank Walsh

Can you tell me what settings I would need to modify? Or a document I should
reference regarding this?

Thanks,

Frank Walsh

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Frank,

As Curt has mentioned, ASP.NET/IIS has a certain idle timeout setting for
asp.net worker process. When the worker process has been idle for more than
the timeout period, it'll be shutdown. Is your ASP.NET server IIS5 or IIS6?

For II5, you can lookup the setting in the server machine's machine.config
file, under the
<processModel> element. You can find the "idleTimeout" attribute within
that element.

For IIS6, by default ASP.NET use the IIS6 application pool model, so you
need to find the application pool of your asp.net application. Then, in the
applcation pool's configuration panel, lookup the "recycle worker process
in miniutes" setting which is under the Recycling tab. The default value is
1740 mins.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Frank Walsh" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ASP.NET 1.1 Application Load Time
| Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:29:19 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Can you tell me what settings I would need to modify? Or a document I
should
| reference regarding this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Frank Walsh
|
| "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_at_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
| | > The application clears itself after (n) minutes, this is by design.
| > You can prolong the length through various IIS and ASP.NET settings
though
| > if you must. Look at the timeout settings, in particular the
application
| > ones
| >
| > --
| > Curt Christianson
| > site: http://www.darkfalz.com
| > blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com
| >

| > "Frank Walsh" wrote:
| >
| >> Hi,
| >>
| >> I'm experiencing a problem when my asp.net 1.1 application starts. It
| >> appears that when the application has not been used for 12 hours or
| >> so...I
| >> experience a much longer load time then if the application was loaded
| >> recently. I attempted to do some research on the subject and found a
few
| >> sites that talk about pre-compiling, which i attempted to do, however
it
| >> doesn't look like this helps if your application is unloaded do to
| >> inactivity.
| >>
| >> Has anyone experienced this? Any solutions out there?
| >>
| >> Thanks,
| >>
| >> Frank Walsh

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Frank,

How are you doing on this issue, does the things in my former reply helps a
little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:41:15 GMT
| Subject: Re: ASP.NET 1.1 Application Load Time
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Frank,
|
| As Curt has mentioned, ASP.NET/IIS has a certain idle timeout setting for
| asp.net worker process. When the worker process has been idle for more
than
| the timeout period, it'll be shutdown. Is your ASP.NET server IIS5 or
IIS6?

| For II5, you can lookup the setting in the server machine's
machine.config
| file, under the
| <processModel> element. You can find the "idleTimeout" attribute within
| that element.
|
| For IIS6, by default ASP.NET use the IIS6 application pool model, so you
| need to find the application pool of your asp.net application. Then, in
the
| applcation pool's configuration panel, lookup the "recycle worker process
| in miniutes" setting which is under the Recycling tab. The default value
is
| 1740 mins.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
| --------------------
| | From: "Frank Walsh" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: ASP.NET 1.1 Application Load Time
| | Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:29:19 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| 2.phx.gbl
| |
| | Can you tell me what settings I would need to modify? Or a document I
| should
| | reference regarding this?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |
| | Frank Walsh
| |
| | > You can prolong the length through various IIS and ASP.NET settings
| though
| | > if you must. Look at the timeout settings, in particular the
| application
| | > ones
| | >
| | > --
| | > Curt Christianson