asp.net 1.1 error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a very weird error going on in an asp.net page that has usercontrols.
    If I set debug="false" in the web.config file, the page throws an error:-

    System.Web.HttpException: External component has thrown an exception. --->
    System.Web.HttpCompileException: External component has thrown an exception.
    at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.ThrowIfCompilerErrors(CompilerResults
    results, CodeDomProvider codeProvider, CodeCompileUnit sourceData, String
    sourceFile, String sourceString) at
    System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType() at
    System.Web.UI.PageParser.CompileIntoType() at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemThroughCompilation() --- End
    of inner exception stack trace --- at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
    fCreateIfNotFound) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String virtualPath,
    String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String virtualPath,
    String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String url, String path) at
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) at
    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
    completedSynchronously)

    If I set debug="true", then everything works fine. What could be causing
    this? It just started happening...
    Guest, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Hi Param,

    You may try following things to see if it helps:

    1) do a "iisreset" when you changed the debug setting
    2) clean the "temporary asp.net files" in
    %windir%\microsoft.net\framework\<version>

    Is visiting any page will throw the exception? even an empty page?

    Is it reproducible? i.e. deploying on other web site also has this problem.

    At last, I would suggest you use "divide and conquer" stragety to track
    down the root cause: remove some files at a time; comment out the config in
    web.config at a time.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 5, 2006

    Guest Guest

    This issue is now reproducible in Development as well.

    Here is what is going on. I have 2 .ascx usercontrols. Both are called
    app_tabs.ascx. However, they are in 2 seperate folders.

    c:\mysite\usercontrols\app_tabs.ascx
    c:\mysite\usercontrols\new\app_tabs.ascx

    Now, I use these usercontrols in different pages. The page that has the 2nd
    usercontrol throws this exception:-

    Compilation Error
    to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
    and modify your source code appropriately.

    Compiler Error Message: BC30560: 'app_tabs_ascx' is ambiguous in the
    namespace '_ASP'.

    Source Error:

    Line 127:<sta:titlebar id="statitlebar" runat="server"/>
    Line 128:<sta:toolbar id="statoolbar" runat="server"/>
    Line 129:<sta:dealerone_apptabs id="statabs" runat="server"/>
    Line 130:<br>
    Line 131:

    If I set debug=true in web.config, this error goes away.....

    Guest, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Hi Param,

    Which version of ASP.NET are you using? Are you using Web Application
    Project add-in in VS2005?

    I've tested using Web Site in VS2005 and didn't reproduce the issue if I
    have two same named UserControl in different folders.

    Would you please create a reproducible project and send it to me? Thank you.

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 6, 2006

    Guest Guest

    ..Net 1.1 using Asp.Net Web Matrix.

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006
  6. Hi Param,

    I've also tried using Visual Studio 2003, it doesn't have the problem too.
    So it seems this issue only exists in ASP.NET Web Matrix.

    ASP.NET Web Matrix as provided as the free development program for earlier
    versions of ASP.NET. For today's ASP.NET version 2.0, the free and
    easy-to-use development program is Visual Web Developer Express
    (http://www.asp.net/downloads/getvwd/default.aspx?tabid=62).

    ASP.NET Web Matrix is not a supported product by Microsoft Product Support
    Services (http://asp.net/webmatrix/faq.aspx).

    If you're learning ASP.NET, I would highly suggest you use the free Visual
    Web Developer Express.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 9, 2006

    Guest Guest

    These web apps are in production and have been running since 2003. When you
    tried VS2003 did you run the site of a Windows Server 2003 box with .net 1.1
    on it?

    Guest, Oct 9, 2006
  8. Hi Param,

    Thanks for the update. I will do a test again. Before that, I want to make
    sure we have the same understanding of the issue. My understanding is:
    using two UserControls that with same name but exist in different folder,
    will cause ambiguous class name in the namespace "_ASP" when in debug mode.
    This issue can be reproduced on a Windows Server 2003 with ASP.NET 1.1,
    right?

    I'll get back to you as soon as I get the result. Thank you for your
    patience.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 10, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Yes that is correct.

    Windows Server Web 2003 w/ SP1 - fully patched. Running both .net 1.1 and
    ..net 2.0. The website runs under .net 1.1. Its got its own App Pool
    configured... site runs over SSL...

    TIA!

    Guest, Oct 10, 2006
  10. Hi Param,

    I've done test using following environment and steps:

    1) On a Windows Server 2003 SP1 that have both .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed,
    create a new virtual directory and configured to use ASP.NET 1.1.4322
    2) Create a new AppPool and configure the virtual directory to use this
    AppPool
    3) Create two simple UserControls that with same name but in different
    folders, and create two webforms to use them accordingly; the first webform
    has a link to navigate to the second webform
    4) Make sure 'debug="false"' is set in web.config
    5) Setup SSL
    6) Visit https://localhost/WebApplication1/WebForm1.aspx, and navigate to
    Webform2.aspx, which works correctly.

    I think using a simple web application will not reproduce the issue. I'm
    afraid we must use a reproducible project from you to find the root cause.
    Thank you for your effort.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 10, 2006

    Guest Guest

    I was able to reproduce the error on 2 boxes - TEST & PRODUCTION.......

    Guest, Oct 12, 2006
  12. Hi Param,

    Do you mean that using a very simple web site with two same named
    UserControls can reproduce this issue on both of your machines? If not, is
    it possible for you to create a reproducible project and send it to me?
    Thank you for your effort and understanding.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Oct 12, 2006
  13. Hello,
    Was there any findings/resolution about this error. I am also getting the
    same error
    I am running .Net 1.1 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP1

    Currently I was able to resolve it by setting debug ="true" in web.config

    Thanks
    Sadagopan

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FkYWdvcGFu?=, Nov 21, 2006