ASP.NET 1.1 garbage collection

Kevin Jackson

ASP.NET 1.1 running on Windows Server 2003 SP1 with .NET 1.1 SP1

Web apps are dual proc servers (actually they are quad processor servers
using VMWare to host two dual proc virtual machines)

We have 5 web apps in a web farm using SQL Server session state.

I'm seeing huge amounts of time spent in the garbage collection threads (the
guys that run at priority 10) on all web apps.

We know we have some performance issues with our web app. We store too much
in viewstate and session. We use ServicedComponents for business logic and
data acess and we do call Dispose religiously on all ServicedComponents.
Our procs are consumed with garbage collection all day long. We spend so
much time in garbage collection I fear this is affecting performance serving
pages.

Can anyne else share their experiences with ASP.NET 1.1 and their garbage
collection profile.

Thanks,

Kevin