asp .net 1.1 + sql weird issue

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this issue to the newsgroups a few weeks ago with no response so I'm going to try again here.

I have an old ASP .NET 1.1 application that I haven't had time to rebuild. No changes have been made to the application or the SQL Server the application uses. I have a web form where users can type multiple lines of text, and it is entered into an SQL database (SQL 2000 Enterprise) into a column with a datatype of "text". Recently (it seems out of nowhere), If my users enter a carriage return into the webform, it becomes a question mark in the sql database. It's really a bit funny, but also annoying, lol. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

UPDATE: We have moved to a new server, and are using SQL 2005. The issue persists. The questions marks can be seen on the webform or even from a direct query to the database. There is not manipulation of the text the user enters before it goes to our database. We simply have a multiline textbox the user types in, and it is dumped into a TEXT column in SQL. All carriage returns are converted to question marks, lol. Help! Thank you!

Ask a Question