asp.net 1.1 would not start: web server is not running 1.1

Guest

Hello, everybody,

When I try to create an ASP.NET 1.1 Application, I got: VS.Net has detected
that the Specified Web Server Is Not Running ASP.NET Version 1.1" Error
Message.

I am running VS.net 2003 Pro on w2k. My web server is the local IIS5. I have
my windows and IIS running for a while and VS.Net is a new install.

I have run aspnet_regiis –I, and regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll under commend
line prompt successfully. I found out I have v1.0.3705 and v1.1.4322 under my
%windir%\Microsoft.net\framework\. I run the v1.1 one.

I have also un/reinstall the VS.net.

I understand the first step is always the hardest, but I did not expect to
research for it for weeks without answers.

Your help is much appreciated!

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Homer,

When you create a Web application with Visual Studio .NET 2003, we make a
request for a non-existent file called get_aspx_ver.aspx. We expect to get
back a header that tells us what version of ASP.NET you are running. If we
get back "1.1.4322", all is good. If we get back anything else (including
an error message), we throw the error you are seeing.

There are a few good ways to tell what's going on with these issues:

1. Open a Web browser and try browsing to http://server/get_aspx_ver.aspx.
Tell me what you see specifically.
2. Look at the IIS logs on the server and see what the server is returning
for that request.
3. Get a network sniff of project creation to see what's going on over the
wire.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
ASP.NET Developer Support