Asp.Net 2.0 / 1.1 and Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. What should I do?

Shapper

Hello,

I am starting 2 new projects to deliver in January 2006.
I want to create them in Asp.Net 2.0 using Visual Studio 2005.

All my clients web sites are Visual Studio 2003 projects in Asp.Net 1.1
/ VB.NET.
These web sites use Access Databases and NOT Microsoft SQL 2000.
In the future I will need to make a few changes now and then to this web
sites.

So, if I install Visual Studio 2.0 in my computer will I be able to:

1. Open my Visual Studio 2003 projects?

2. Edit Asp.Net 1.1 / Vb.Net projects and compile them?

I don't need to use any of the Drag and Drop features or properties
windows in Visual Studio 2005.
Of course I will only use Asp.Net 1.1 code in these projects.
All I need is to be able to work on the code and compile it. Maybe
there is an ASp.Net 1.1 compiler?

3. Can I preview the Asp.Net 1.1 web sites in my computer after
installing Visual Studio 2005?
I supose I will have Asp.Net 2.0 Framework, right?

Anyway, I believe these are problems most people have since using Visual
Studio 2005.

Can someone, please, help me out with this?

Thanks,
Miguel

Guest

1. Open my Visual Studio 2003 projects?

Yes, but they will be converted to 2.0 format. Save a 1.1 copy.

2. Edit Asp.Net 1.1 / Vb.Net projects and compile them?

Cannot compile for the 1.1 Framework in VS 2005. As long as you do not use
new features, you can take the code back to 1.1 and compile it, taking
advantage of the 2.0 IDE, but you will have to know what is 1.1 and what is
2.0 or you will have a problem.

3. Can I preview the Asp.Net 1.1 web sites in my computer after installing
Visual Studio 2005?

1.1 and 2.0 can sit side-by-side on a computer and you have the ability to
have a 1.1 site running along side a 2.0 site. As long as you leave your 1.1
work in a 1.1 site, there is no problem.

Short answer: VS 2005 can be installed on a machine with VS.NET 2003, but
you will have to leave each site in its own IDE. When you move to 2.0, it is
easiest if you never go back.
--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Bruce Barker

vs2005 does not support asp 1.1 style code (notepad and asp.net 2.0 do).
vs2005 uses partial classes to implement the page/codebehind model and this
is not supported by vs2003. also because vs2005 does not use project files,
it can not really be used for vs2003 coding style (can not build the single
codebehind dll).

to work on asp.net 1.1 use vs2003.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Kevin Spencer

So, if I install Visual Studio 2.0 in my computer will I be able to:

The answer to all of your questions is "yes, as long as you don't uninstall
Visual Studio.Net 2003."

VS.net 2005 will only work with .Net 2.0 projects, and like VS.Net 2003,
will upgrade projects written for a previous version of the .Net platform.
You can have both platforms and both IDEs on one machine.

If you want to take a chance on having a converted 1.1 app ready by January,
using a RC version of the VS.Net product until November, that's your call.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP