    Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    VR
    , Dec 16, 2007

  2. They all non-ie browser just fine. Since the ASP.Net server controls render
    HTML, css, and javascript it's fairly cross-platform. The ajax library is a
    client-side javascsript library, it just has server-side functionality to
    aid the generation of the client-side events.

    That said, one of the main problems most developers face cross-platform is
    simple design issues. These are essentially the same for non-ASP.Net sites
    as you need to craft your basic HTML and CSS in such a way that it will work
    cross-browser.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Dec 16, 2007

    Mark,

    Thanks for the post. I was really hoping to hear something like that :)

    Could you recommend a good book and/or other resources on the subject
    cross-platform compatibility? I'd love to get a chance to learn on the
    mistakes of others :)

    Thanks,
    VR

    "Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:

    > They all non-ie browser just fine. Since the ASP.Net server controls render
    > HTML, css, and javascript it's fairly cross-platform. The ajax library is a
    > client-side javascsript library, it just has server-side functionality to
    > aid the generation of the client-side events.
    >
    > That said, one of the main problems most developers face cross-platform is
    > simple design issues. These are essentially the same for non-ASP.Net sites
    > as you need to craft your basic HTML and CSS in such a way that it will work
    > cross-browser.
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps,
    > Mark Fitzpatrick
    > Microsoft MVP - Expression
    >
    > "" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am a rookie web developer and faced with an important decision of
    > > choosing
    > > the development platform and language for a brand new software my company
    > > is
    > > about to build.
    > >
    > > Whereas I am leaning towards ASP.NET simply because of my familiarity with
    > > C#, a more important factor of compatibility comes to mind. The big
    > > question
    > > is how ASP.NET 2.0, 3.5 and MS AJAX technology support Mozilla Firefox and
    > > Safari.
    > >
    > > I guess I am not looking for specifics as to which control or
    > > functionality
    > > is supported and which is not (I will appreciate them though), but an
    > > approximation of whether ASP.NET is the best platform to use when it comes
    > > playing with other major browsers.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    > > VR

    , Dec 16, 2007
  4. "" <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:
    >
    >> They all non-ie browser just fine. Since the ASP.Net server controls
    >> render
    >> HTML, css, and javascript it's fairly cross-platform. The ajax library is
    >> client-side javascsript library, it just has server-side functionality to
    >> aid the generation of the client-side events.
    >>
    >> That said, one of the main problems most developers face cross-platform
    >> is
    >> simple design issues. These are essentially the same for non-ASP.Net
    >> sites
    >> as you need to craft your basic HTML and CSS in such a way that it will
    >> work
    >> cross-browser.

    > Could you recommend a good book and/or other resources on the subject
    > cross-platform compatibility? I'd love to get a chance to learn on the
    > mistakes of others :)

    Cross-platform compatibility isn't really the issue - it's cross-browser
    compatibility that you need to account for...

    The problem here is mainly historical. From the mid 90s, IE has had the
    lion's share of the browser market and it is only relatively recently that
    FireFox and Safari have made any inroads into this. This has meant that lots
    of web developers simply didn't care about any browser other than IE because
    they didn't think it was worth the effort. It's not difficult to have a
    certain amount of sympathy with this attitude - how many desktop developers
    do you know who go out of their way to provide a Mac version of their apps,
    let alone a Linux version...?

    W3C is an independent body which provides standards for the web. But the
    verb *provides* is the crux of the matter here - it can only *provide*
    standards, because *enforcing* standards on the web is totally impossible
    due to its fundamental architecture. Microsoft, to a greater or lesser
    extent, ignored these standards completely right up to IE6, which remains
    the least standards-compliant browser in active use today. To make matters
    worse, of course, IE6 remains the most popular browser in use today :)
    However, Microsoft have responded to the criticism of IE6 with IE7 which is
    much more standards-compliant, though there's still a fair way to go yet...

    So what's a web developer to do?

    Firstly, develop against FireFox, not IE. Install FireFox on your
    development box and set that as the default browser in Visual Studio.NET.

    Secondly, make all your web apps standards-compliant. Choose either HTML4.01
    or XHTML 1.0 Transitional. You can set this in Visual Studio.NET.

    Thirdly, develop against FireFox but test against IE.

    If your web apps are 100% compliant with either one of the standards above,
    and function correctly in FireFox and IE, it's a pretty safe bet that they
    will function correctly in all other modern browsers too...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP
    Mark Rae [MVP], Dec 16, 2007

    Mark,

    Thank you for the post.

    Thank to you I regained my courage -- all of a sudden I feel I could
    actually do it.

    VR

    , Dec 17, 2007
  6. Scott Lloyd Guest

    Microsoft built ASP.Net and the AJAX extensions with compatibility in mind.
    Features built using something specific to modern browsers will even degrade
    gracefully when possible (like async postbacks converting to full
    postbacks).

    Scott Lloyd
    Lloyd Software

    Scott Lloyd, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Wolfing Guest

    On Dec 18, 3:59 pm, "Scott Lloyd" <> wrote:
    > Microsoft built ASP.Net and the AJAX extensions with compatibility in mind.
    > Features built using something specific to modern browsers will even degrade
    > gracefully when possible (like async postbacks converting to full
    > postbacks).
    >
    > Scott Lloyd
    > Lloyd Software
    >
    > "" <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I am a rookie web developer and faced with an important decision of
    > > choosing
    > > the development platform and language for a brand new software my company
    > > is
    > > about to build.

    > > Whereas I am leaning towards ASP.NET simply because of my familiarity with
    > > C#, a more important factor of compatibility comes to mind. The big
    > > question
    > > is how ASP.NET 2.0,3.5and MS AJAX technology support Mozilla Firefox and
    > > Safari.

    > > I guess I am not looking for specifics as to which control or
    > > functionality
    > > is supported and which is not (I will appreciate them though), but an
    > > approximation of whether ASP.NET is the best platform to use when it comes
    > > playing with other major browsers.

    > > Thank you in advance for any feedback.
    > > VR

    I don't know, but just using some of the 2.0 AJAX controls in the
    tookit without any changes, and I found that they would work in IE but
    not in Firefox. Even with the standard AJAX controls, for example, I
    spent hours trying to figure out why the login control wasn't working,
    and suddenly I thought about trying the page in IE... it worked. I
    hope they fixed those things in 3.5.
    Wolfing, Dec 19, 2007