ASP.NET 2.0 AppDomain recycling

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Rivers, Oct 13, 2009.

  1. John Rivers

    John Rivers Guest

    Hi

    Since upgrading one web app to 2.0 the AppDomain recycles whenever
    there is a change in the bin folder

    This results in a new AppDomain being created and a full recompilation
    of the web app

    This takes around 20 seconds and uses about 75% cpu in the process

    On the production server this is not a problem as changes to the bin
    folder are rare

    But whilst I am developing - being forced to wait 20 seconds again and
    again and again

    is extremely frustrating and interfering with my productivity

    ASP.NET 1.1 had a really useful (for me) bug/feature where you could
    load the same DLL again and again

    as there is no way to unload a managed DLL this is technically a
    memory leak - but only whilst developing
    thus once a day a simple IISRESET would solve the problem

    ASP.NET 2.0 has been redesigned partly to avoid this memory leak
    problem

    And that is my problem - I *want* the memory leak as it means I can
    work quickly

    Does anybody know, or can anybody think of a way to stop this unwanted
    AppDomain recycling?

    John Rivers, Oct 13, 2009

  2. John Rivers

    3P Guest

    Dnia 13-10-2009 o 15:57:28 John Rivers <> napisa³(a):

    > Hi
    >
    > Since upgrading one web app to 2.0 the AppDomain recycles whenever
    > there is a change in the bin folder
    >
    > This results in a new AppDomain being created and a full recompilation
    > of the web app
    >
    > This takes around 20 seconds and uses about 75% cpu in the process
    >
    > On the production server this is not a problem as changes to the bin
    > folder are rare
    >
    > But whilst I am developing - being forced to wait 20 seconds again and
    > again and again
    >
    > is extremely frustrating and interfering with my productivity
    >
    > ASP.NET 1.1 had a really useful (for me) bug/feature where you could
    > load the same DLL again and again
    >
    > as there is no way to unload a managed DLL this is technically a
    > memory leak - but only whilst developing
    > thus once a day a simple IISRESET would solve the problem
    >
    > ASP.NET 2.0 has been redesigned partly to avoid this memory leak
    > problem
    >
    > And that is my problem - I *want* the memory leak as it means I can
    > work quickly
    >
    > Does anybody know, or can anybody think of a way to stop this unwanted
    > AppDomain recycling?

    You should look at <compile optimizeCompilations="true" batch="false">

    I'm not sure about batch attribute now. First one needs a special download
    from MS. It isn't in ASP.NET by default. At least it wasn't in 2.0.

    3P, Jun 1, 2010