ASP.NET 2.0 - Cannot run the profiler

Adrian Parker

When I try to profile a website in VS2005, I get the following error.

Launch Error: The web site could not be configured correctly; getting
ASP.NET process information failed. Requesting
'http://localhost:1740/ingenweb/VSEnterpriseHelper.axd' returned an error:
Unable to connect to the remote server

I've tried adding the following to web.config but it made no difference.

<location path="VSEnterpriseHelper.axd">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

I've also tried removing the following out of the web.config but again it
made no difference.

<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

Any ideas ?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Adrian,

From your description, you're getting some error when try launching the
performance session to profile an ASP.NET application in VS 2005.

As for the configuration setting in web.config you mentioned, I've also
noticed that there're some web articles mentioend this. However, this
setting is for those cases the ASP.NET application is using forms
authentication, also, based on my research, the performance profiling tools
in VS 2005 doesn't support profiling ASP.NET application using forms
authentication currently.

So is the application suffers the problem using forms authentication? If
this is the case, I would suggest you consider temporarily turn the
authentication to "windows" mode and then use the profiler to testing the
pages in the application.

If your application is not using forms authentication, we may have to
perform some further tests againt it. As you mentioned, the appliation is
currently hosted by file system project(in Test Webserver), you can try
moving it into IIS server and profiling it through IIS server to see the
result. Also, using IIS is the recommended approach for production
testing/profiling since Test webserver is just a simple webserver for
development only.

In addition, would you provide the detailed steps on how you reproduce the
error on your machine? You can create a new web project to see whether it
also suffers the problem, and provide us the steps you create the
performance profiler session and launch it ....

Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I missed or if you got
any other finding.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Adrian Parker

| the performance profiling tools
| in VS 2005 doesn't support profiling ASP.NET application using forms
| authentication currently.

Yes, we're using forms authentication. Will this problem be sorted out soon
?

Adrian

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Adrian,

I originally get this info from our enterprise tool team's engineer. I can
help you ask him to see whether there is any means for forms authentication
application.

BTW, is it possible that you test individual page and turn off forms
authentication temporarily?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Adrian Parker

| BTW, is it possible that you test individual page and turn off forms
| authentication temporarily?

Steven,

Unfortunately not, there's too much initialisation done during the login
process to enable us to run a page in isolation.

Regards
Adrian

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the reply Adrian,

I can understand your concern here. I'm currently contacting the enterprise
tools team's engineer to see whether there is any avaiable options to
workarond the problem. I'll update you as soon as I get any information.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Adrian,

After some further consulting to our development team. Forms Authentication
is still unsupported for unit test through the Enterprise tools in VS 2005.
I'm afraid you may need to use some other unit test approach, such as
indivdual page based test or other external test tools.

BTW, I would suggest you also submit the request on our product feedback
center so that the product team can hear more this:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng