ASP.NET 2.0 - Cannot run the profiler

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Adrian Parker, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. When I try to profile a website in VS2005, I get the following error.

    Launch Error: The web site could not be configured correctly; getting
    ASP.NET process information failed. Requesting
    'http://localhost:1740/ingenweb/VSEnterpriseHelper.axd' returned an error:
    Unable to connect to the remote server

    I've tried adding the following to web.config but it made no difference.

    <location path="VSEnterpriseHelper.axd">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <allow users="?" />
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>

    I've also tried removing the following out of the web.config but again it
    made no difference.

    <authorization>
    <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>

    Any ideas ?

    --
    Adrian Parker
    Ingenuity At Work Ltd

    Adrian Parker, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Hello Adrian,

    From your description, you're getting some error when try launching the
    performance session to profile an ASP.NET application in VS 2005.

    As for the configuration setting in web.config you mentioned, I've also
    noticed that there're some web articles mentioend this. However, this
    setting is for those cases the ASP.NET application is using forms
    authentication, also, based on my research, the performance profiling tools
    in VS 2005 doesn't support profiling ASP.NET application using forms
    authentication currently.

    So is the application suffers the problem using forms authentication? If
    this is the case, I would suggest you consider temporarily turn the
    authentication to "windows" mode and then use the profiler to testing the
    pages in the application.

    If your application is not using forms authentication, we may have to
    perform some further tests againt it. As you mentioned, the appliation is
    currently hosted by file system project(in Test Webserver), you can try
    moving it into IIS server and profiling it through IIS server to see the
    result. Also, using IIS is the recommended approach for production
    testing/profiling since Test webserver is just a simple webserver for
    development only.

    In addition, would you provide the detailed steps on how you reproduce the
    error on your machine? You can create a new web project to see whether it
    also suffers the problem, and provide us the steps you create the
    performance profiler session and launch it ....

    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything I missed or if you got
    any other finding.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 24, 2006

  3. "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | the performance profiling tools
    | in VS 2005 doesn't support profiling ASP.NET application using forms
    | authentication currently.

    Yes, we're using forms authentication. Will this problem be sorted out soon
    ?

    Adrian

    Adrian Parker, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Thanks for your reply Adrian,

    I originally get this info from our enterprise tool team's engineer. I can
    help you ask him to see whether there is any means for forms authentication
    application.

    BTW, is it possible that you test individual page and turn off forms
    authentication temporarily?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 25, 2006
  5. "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | BTW, is it possible that you test individual page and turn off forms
    | authentication temporarily?

    Steven,

    Unfortunately not, there's too much initialisation done during the login
    process to enable us to run a page in isolation.

    Regards
    Adrian

    Adrian Parker, Aug 25, 2006
  6. Thanks for the reply Adrian,

    I can understand your concern here. I'm currently contacting the enterprise
    tools team's engineer to see whether there is any avaiable options to
    workarond the problem. I'll update you as soon as I get any information.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 28, 2006
  7. Hi Adrian,

    After some further consulting to our development team. Forms Authentication
    is still unsupported for unit test through the Enterprise tools in VS 2005.
    I'm afraid you may need to use some other unit test approach, such as
    indivdual page based test or other external test tools.

    BTW, I would suggest you also submit the request on our product feedback
    center so that the product team can hear more this:

    http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

    Thanks for your understanding.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng