ASP.NET 2.0 deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Venton, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. Venton

    Venton Guest

    I am currently using VS 2003 ASP.NET 1.1
    I like the way that deployment of a new assembly is so simple, I just
    FTP the dll of the entire project across and that's it, none of the
    web users are any the wiser. No source code on the server either.

    I am thinking of upgrading to VS2005 / asp.net 2.0 but having a quick
    and easy way of deploying changes is essential.

    My app is a web shop, and there could be several users in the middle
    of buying stuff.
    If I have a change to make, I want to roll out the changes
    instantaniously (eg just replace a dll).

    Is this possible with VS 2005 / ASP.NET 2.0 or is it more complicated?

    I don't want to knock people off the web sites or give them errors by
    doing.

    Any help from people with real world experience in this area much
    appreciated.

    Venton, Jun 28, 2007

  2. Venton

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Venton" <> wrote in message

    > Any help from people with real world experience in this area much
    > appreciated.

    Just make sure you install SP1 for VS.NET 2005 and use the web application
    model - keep well away from the web site model...

    --
    http://www.markrae.net

    Mark Rae, Jun 28, 2007

  3. Venton

    bruce barker Guest

    asp.net 2.0 has several deployment options. if you use web site mode,
    and precompiled mode you can deploy page single page change (fixed
    names) or just all dlls.

    unlike asp 1.1, the page dll can be precompiled in 2.0. in web site mode
    this will include the codebehind. if you use web application projects
    there will be an additional dll for the codebehind dll along with all
    the page dll's.

    just like 1.1, deploying new dlls may cause a recycle (losing inprcc
    sessions) if the memory limit, or recompile limit is hit.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 28, 2007
  4. Venton

    Venton Guest

    Thanks people.
    Using SP1 with web application model gave me the dll's like I wanted -
    just like 1.1

    Venton, Jul 16, 2007