    Also, is it possible or easy to implement an upload progress bar using this
    FileUpload control?

    Thanks.

    Uncle Ben, Mar 23, 2005

  2. You have lowered your expectation from 4Gigs and + to only a scanty 2Gigs?

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Uncle Ben

    Uncle Ben Guest

    Not entirely. But for now, I'd like to know if anyone has implemented the
    FileUpload control in ASP.NET 2.0 beta 1 and if so, how well it works.

    Uncle Ben, Mar 23, 2005
  4. Uncle Ben

    Patrice Guest

    This is more likely a server problem ie. having the whole file help in
    memory. I wonder if this is a limitation tied to IIS and/or HTTP (i.e the
    request needs to be entirely read before passed to ASP.NET ????).

    What is it ?

    My first though would be to reduce the file size (for example upload
    differences), to install something client side if this is for specific
    users, to handle this using something different if for general usee (FTP,
    client side control with PUT access, Webdav or whatever else that doesn't
    use up the memory).

    Hopefully someone will tell us if this is limitation that can't be
    workaround using HTTP...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Uncle Ben

    Patrice Guest

    Try perhaps :

    http://www.websupergoo.com/abcupload.net-1.htm

    They claim to be able to stream the uploaded file to disk...

    Good luck. Let us know about your findings...
    (be aware also of the time taken, ie. if something goes wrong the user will
    have likely to upload the whole file again).

    Patrice

    Patrice, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Uncle Ben

    Bruce Barker Guest

    in a word no.

    the control renders a standard <input type=file> html control. the server
    side has been changed to so that the whole upload need not be held in memory
    (can be configured to cache on disk), and a stream interface has been added.
    so you could upload a 2bg successfully. but a single network aborts the
    upload. the browser may choke before the upload completes (not sure IE could
    actually do it).

    also as asp.net threads are tied up during the transfer, you will be limited
    to the number of concurrent transfers allowed.

    to upload (or download) large files, you need client component, that can
    restart/redo a transfer.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Mar 23, 2005