ASP.NET 2.0 Frustration - MS Please Help

scorpion53061

I have a request of Microsoft and I hope they see this.

I use Visual Studio 2005 Pro and WIN XP Pro with IIS 5.1

I have spent the better part of the last 2 weeks attempting to get my
ASP.NET projects to work. Just a simple hello world.

Since installing the 2.0 of the framework, localhost no longer works on IIS.
localhost is required for (at least it appears so) for the ASP.NET
development server to function. Actually I take that back. localhost will
work but now is very slow but not with anything ASP.NET. the development
server icon appears, gives it a port uses localhost but it wont work. All I
get is page cannot be displayed.

I get errors when trying to set up the quickstarts such as:

Failed while restarting W3SVC. Error code: 0x8007041d

Though it actually will start. When I go to check it is running.

I also get htis error under system:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation
permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}
to the user COMPUTER11\IWAM_COMPUTER11 SID
(S-1-5-21-1292428093-839522115-725345543-1026). This security permission
can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I got to Component Services and of course no such
entry(0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064) exists under COM under DCOM
config.

Is it possible MS could put out a tool that would configure IIS (and Windows
if necessary) to work with ASP.NET 2.0 so I can actually move on from here.
Right now, I am flat out stuck.

I have uninstalled the Framework 2.0 and IIS, and reinstalled IIS and then
the Framework. I have registered so many times.

If I seem frustrated I apologize. This should not be that difficult.

Kelly

Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

Firstly you don't need to post this to every newsgroup you can find.
Secondly, I hesitate to answer because of issue number one. However, what
kind of setup do you have? straight pc/windows or do you have some funky
configuration that we ought to know about?
What do you visual studio install logs say. how about your eventviewer
application error logs?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006

scorpion53061

I posted to the groups I felt applicable to the problem.....NET because they
use VS.NET, inetserver because it involves IIS, ASP.NET because this is the
primary area this configuration problem is focused and visual studio setup
because I thought maybe there was an issue there. I apologize if I offended
you. But I need to get this fixed as the "boss" is not at all impressed with
this situation.

Anyway, it is normal Windows install. Nothing is out of the ordinary. The
errors I posted before came from teh event log.

Kelly

scorpion53061 said:
[...]

Chris Crowe [IIS MVP 2005/2006]

Your DCOM {0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064} is used for the Machine
Debug Manager and you can find it under DCOM in Component Services.

My settings are:

Administrators, all 4 options
Debugger Users, all 4 options
SYSTEM, all 4 options

All 4 options means : Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote
Activation

If you are running IIS and not the development web server to run your web
apps you will need to make sure that IIS is configured to use the correct
version of the .NET framework.

Under C:\windows\Microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727 run the
aspnet_regIIS.exe tool

aspnet_regiis.exe -lk

This will show you what version of the framework is registered for each
application in IIS.

I personally have not had any issues with VS.NET 2005 (other than it being
quite sluggish)

Let me know if any of this helps you.

--

Chris Crowe [IIS MVP - 1997 --> 2006]
http://blog.crowe.co.nz

scorpion53061 said:
[...]

clintonG

Could I interrupt? I'm reading all kinds of news articles related to 2.0
problems. It took me a week for example to finally resolve a SQL Server 2005
COM+ warning during setup which kept making setup bombm. I came into this
news article to see if there was anything to learn about the wierd stuff
still going on. I have no idea which is the "right" newsgroup. I've been
writing about this all over the place and nobody has a clue. Yet.

I have problems with SQL Server data when using Visual Studio 2005 Pro on an
XP Pro SP2 configured using GMT (-06:00) Central Time. The Website
Administration Tool (WAT) will add a user to aspnet_Users but the time the
user is recorded when the record is created is 6 hours into the future.
Thus, if the user was created at 5:00 PM on a machine using GMT (-06:00)
Central time the actual time recorded in the database will be 11:00 PM six
hours into the future. Furthermore, when the WAT is used to assign the user
to a role a second instance of the user is created in the aspnet_Users table
and that second instance is also recored 6 hours into the future.

This anomaly occurs on a machine where I have had 1.1, Beta 2 and various
instances of Visual Studio and SQL Server. So I came to the conclusion that
although I successfully uninstalled previous instances (or so I thought) and
then successfully installed 2.0 RTM I had to try another strategy.

The second stratgey includes installing to another somewhat clean instance
of XP Pro on different disk. I say "somewhat clean" because this different
disk had ASP_.NET 1.1 installed on it which the TrueImage client required it
for imaging the contents of the disk. TrueImage being one of the first ISVs
to release a client using the 1.1 framework.

So I made sure the different disk running an otherwise fresh install of XP
Pro was all brought up to the latest updates. Installed Microsoft Office
2003, installed Visual Studio 2005 Pro, installed SQL Server 2005 and
started testing by using the WAT.

The same damn thing is happening on the different disk; two instances of
each user in aspnet_Users when a user is added to a role and each set of
useers are dated 6 hours into the future.

What the heck is this?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

scorpion53061 said:
[...]

Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)

scorpion53061 said:
[...]

Try posting the question in IIS forums on www.asp.net where members of the
ASP.NET team answering questions.

Thanks
Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)
-- This post is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties and confers no rights

Ken Schaefer

Um,

Perhaps the WAT is using GMT?!? That would explain why, if your local time
is GMT -6, the datestamp is 6 hours into the future.

I would suggest however you start a new thread about this in the appropriate
newsgroup rather than tacking onto someone else's. Alternative there are
role provider forums at forums.asp.net where you can post this question.

Cheers
Ken

:
[...]
: METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service"
: NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
: URL http://metromilwaukee.com/
: URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
:
:
:
: message : > Your DCOM {0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064} is used for the Machine
: > Debug Manager and you can find it under DCOM in Component Services.
: >
: > My settings are:
: >
[...]
: > --
: >
: > Chris Crowe [IIS MVP - 1997 --> 2006]
: > http://blog.crowe.co.nz
: >
: >
: >
: >
: > : >>I posted to the groups I felt applicable to the problem.....NET because
: >>they use VS.NET, inetserver because it involves IIS, ASP.NET because
this
: >>is the primary area this configuration problem is focused and visual
: >>studio setup because I thought maybe there was an issue there. I
apologize
: >>if I offended you. But I need to get this fixed as the "boss" is not at
: >>all impressed with this situation.
: >>
: >> "Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
: >> : >>> Firstly you don't need to post this to every newsgroup you can find.
: >>> Secondly, I hesitate to answer because of issue number one. However,
: >>> what
: >>> kind of setup do you have? straight pc/windows or do you have some
funky
: >>> configuration that we ought to know about?
: >>> What do you visual studio install logs say. how about your eventviewer
: >>> application error logs?
: >>>
: >>> --
: >>> Regards,
: >>> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
: >>>
: >>> [Shameless Author plug]
: >>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
: >>> Now Available @ www.lulu.com/owc
: >>> Forth-coming VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley 2006
: >>> -------------------------------------------------------
: >>>
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> : >>>> I have a request of Microsoft and I hope they see this.
: >>>>
[...]

I've been posting in other 'appropriate' places and nobody has bothered to
even look into it. I've even reinstalled everything to new disk and the same
thing is happening. Something is really FUBAR.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

Ken Schaefer said:
[...]

Scott Allen

I got to Component Services and of course no such
entry(0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064) exists under COM under DCOM
config.

That is the class ID for the machine debug manager.

You could try the steps in the following support article, but it
sounds to me as if something is fundamentally wrong with the machine
configuration, so I'm not sure this will solve all your problems.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290398