[ASP.Net 2.0] Hiding asmx file ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve B., Mar 15, 2007.

  1. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    Hi,

    We have build an ASP.Net 2.0 framework for our corporate sites. This
    framework add some asmx files that are used by all application. The asmx
    files only contains the directive

    <%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="OurFrameworkServiceClass" %>

    The class is defined in a dll (then w/o source code) that is place in the
    BIN directory.

    What I want to achieve, is to simplify the development of new application by
    adding only the DLL to the bin directory, and without having to put the asmx
    file in the application folder.
    Is there any way to "instanciate" an webservicehandler without having to
    have a physical asmx file ?
    If required, I can add a new line in the web.config file (in handlers
    section), but my first test tells me the asmx file is mandatory ...

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    Steve B., Mar 15, 2007

  2. If you want to completely can the ASMX, you can do it with an HttpHandler.
    It makes things difficult to debug and adds a whole layer of complexity on
    the system, but it can be done. I would not personally go this direction
    simply to get rid of a file with a pointer, as it adds man hours, complexity
    and the potential for errors that would not occur if you simply keept the
    ASMX files. I would not do it, but your mileage may vary. :)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Mar 15, 2007

  3. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    Thanks, I'll take care of your arguments

    Steve

    message news:...

    Steve B., Mar 15, 2007