[ASP.Net 2.0] Hiding asmx file ?

Steve B.

Hi,

We have build an ASP.Net 2.0 framework for our corporate sites. This
framework add some asmx files that are used by all application. The asmx
files only contains the directive

<%@ WebService Language="C#" Class="OurFrameworkServiceClass" %>

The class is defined in a dll (then w/o source code) that is place in the
BIN directory.

What I want to achieve, is to simplify the development of new application by
adding only the DLL to the bin directory, and without having to put the asmx
file in the application folder.
Is there any way to "instanciate" an webservicehandler without having to
have a physical asmx file ?
If required, I can add a new line in the web.config file (in handlers
section), but my first test tells me the asmx file is mandatory ...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If you want to completely can the ASMX, you can do it with an HttpHandler.
It makes things difficult to debug and adds a whole layer of complexity on
the system, but it can be done. I would not personally go this direction
simply to get rid of a file with a pointer, as it adds man hours, complexity
and the potential for errors that would not occur if you simply keept the
ASMX files. I would not do it, but your mileage may vary. :)

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!

Steve B.

Thanks, I'll take care of your arguments

Steve