ASP.NET 2.0 & IIS 6.0 on a Win2003 Domain Controller - Good KB Art

Rbrt

I had a lot of trouble getting ASP.NET to run on a Windows 2003 Server
standard edition domain controller running IIS 6.0. There have been a number
of posts here with links to KN articles, but one article which I didn't see
mentioned, and which helped me deal with peristent w3wp.exe crash problems
was this one...

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=918041

There appears to be an error in the article though. In method 2 it describes
putting the special ASPNET account in the identity tab of the application
pool. For me, this resulted in a "Service Unavailable" response when I tried
to run my web site. This tab should be left as NETWORK SERVICE. The real fix
that worked for me in this article was the setting of permissions on the
registry keys for the NETWORK SERVICE account.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help with respect to my previous posts on
this issue. I finally threw the towel and burned one of my MSDN support
incidents to get things back on track.

<RANT>The real problem is the poor job that the ASP.NET 2.0 install software
does on a domain controller. I have seen posts here which say "Just don't run
ASP.NET and IIS 6.0 on a domain controller." I am a developer working in a
small development only network and, for people like me, this sort of thinking
is just plain wrong-headed. I am sure there are a number of MSDN members out
there who would tell you the same thing. If Microsoft is going to continue
publishing their software in MSDN packages for developers (I doubt they would
want to stop), then this sort of requirement should be taken into account
when writing install software. </RANT>

Thanks again to all who offered helpful suggestions in dealing with this
issue.

Robert