asp.net 2.0 login controls and configuration wizard features advice needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Keith G Hicks, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. I'm relatively new to asp.net. I've been working in the windows app world
    for the last bunch of years and really just getting into this area. Lots of
    catching up to do. So I know there's this nifty wizard that creates a bunch
    of sql 2005 tables, views and procedures. Then it lets you set up users,
    roles, etc. Once that's done you can make use of the login controls. Ok, I
    get most of that. I'm not entirely clear on all the details but I get the
    basic idea (although my other question about storage still looms in my
    mind). What I'm wondering, is all this worth the effort? I like to keep
    things pretty simple. A few important fields in a user table, maybe a roles
    table (maybe not), and a few procedures for doing inserts and updates, etc.
    I also prefer to have more control over the way my apps operate and look. It
    feels to me like I lose a lot of that with these canned features. I know
    they're all customizable, but it seems messy. If I'm going to do much
    customization I may as well just use my own tools. And I'd like to put my
    login/security tables in the database I'm using for the app itself, not in
    something off to the side. At least that's how it feels. I'm looking for
    someone to tell me I'm right or wrong about this. I don't want to reinvent
    the wheel but if the only wheel that's out there isn't round, then it won't
    work right.

    Thanks,

    Keith

    Keith G Hicks, Feb 23, 2008