asp.net 2.0 login controls and configuration wizard features advice needed

Keith G Hicks

I'm relatively new to asp.net. I've been working in the windows app world
for the last bunch of years and really just getting into this area. Lots of
catching up to do. So I know there's this nifty wizard that creates a bunch
of sql 2005 tables, views and procedures. Then it lets you set up users,
roles, etc. Once that's done you can make use of the login controls. Ok, I
get most of that. I'm not entirely clear on all the details but I get the
basic idea (although my other question about storage still looms in my
mind). What I'm wondering, is all this worth the effort? I like to keep
things pretty simple. A few important fields in a user table, maybe a roles
table (maybe not), and a few procedures for doing inserts and updates, etc.
I also prefer to have more control over the way my apps operate and look. It
feels to me like I lose a lot of that with these canned features. I know
they're all customizable, but it seems messy. If I'm going to do much
customization I may as well just use my own tools. And I'd like to put my
login/security tables in the database I'm using for the app itself, not in
something off to the side. At least that's how it feels. I'm looking for
someone to tell me I'm right or wrong about this. I don't want to reinvent
the wheel but if the only wheel that's out there isn't round, then it won't
work right.

Thanks,

Keith