ASP.NET 2.0 menu: where to set alternate text for "^ up one level

Guest

When the ASP.NET menu is rendered on downlevel browers, the text "^ up one
level" is displayed.
Any ideas how I can change that text? I did not find a property for the menu
control where I can change it.

Dieter

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your posting.
As for the ASP.NET menu control, most of its server control properties are
documented for its uplevel browser condition. For downlevel condition, it
may just render out some fixed html code(conforms html 3.2), So I think in
downlevel browser model the Menu control will has limited customization
support. Anyway, you can try those exposed Image or Text Properties to see
whether they have effect on the Menu control... If not, I'm afraid it'll be
restricted to the fixed html mode...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZHBvbXQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: ASP.NET 2.0 menu: where to set alternate text for "^ up one
level
| Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:06:03 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| When the ASP.NET menu is rendered on downlevel browers, the text "^ up
one
| level" is displayed.
| Any ideas how I can change that text? I did not find a property for the
menu
| control where I can change it.
|
| Dieter

Guest

Hi Steven,

thanks for your reply.

I have tried the available text properties with no luck: there is no
suitable method to change the "^ one level up" text.
If not, I'm afraid it'll be restricted to the fixed html mode...
I am developing a multilingual web application. Having just replaced the old
DHTML menu control that worked like a charm even on must downlevel browsers I
am now faced multiple issues with the ASP.NET menu. First problem is, that
Safari is handled as downlevel browser and does not render a dynamic menu
with flyout submenus. Worse, the fixed html it generates is not customizable
in means I cannot change the "^one level up" text. I guess have to replace
the ASP.NET menu to get around the problems.

Best regards,
Dieter

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Dieter,

For up/down level browsers, they're configurable, maybe the ASP.NET 2.0
browser definition files group safari into downlevel due to its former
versions.... And here are some msdn reference on ASP.NET server controls &
browser caps:

#ASP.NET Web Server Controls and Browser Capabilities
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x3k2ssx2.aspx

Also, for the Menu control's HTML content, I do admit that it still lack of
some features since the ASP.NET 2.0 first time include such a group of
cross browser navigation control(in 1.1 there only exists a set of add-on
IE specific webcontrols...). However, I think our dev guys will continually
to improve them according to customers and community's feedback. So I'd
suggest you also post your request to the MSDN feedback center:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/default.aspx

In addition, you can also have a look at some blogs at WWW.ASP.NET since
many ASPNET dev team members will frequently post some updates on new
asp.net feature update....

Thanks for your understanding..

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZHBvbXQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: ASP.NET 2.0 menu: where to set alternate text for "^ up one
| Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:08:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| thanks for your reply.
|
| I have tried the available text properties with no luck: there is no
| suitable method to change the "^ one level up" text.
|
| > If not, I'm afraid it'll be restricted to the fixed html mode...
| I am developing a multilingual web application. Having just replaced the
old
| DHTML menu control that worked like a charm even on must downlevel
browsers I
| am now faced multiple issues with the ASP.NET menu. First problem is,
that
| Safari is handled as downlevel browser and does not render a dynamic menu
| with flyout submenus. Worse, the fixed html it generates is not
customizable
| in means I cannot change the "^one level up" text. I guess have to
replace
| the ASP.NET menu to get around the problems.
|
| Best regards,
| Dieter
|

| > documented for its uplevel browser condition. For downlevel condition,
it
| > may just render out some fixed html code(conforms html 3.2), So I think
in
| > downlevel browser model the Menu control will has limited customization
| > support. Anyway, you can try those exposed Image or Text Properties to
see
| > whether they have effect on the Menu control... If not, I'm afraid
it'll be
| > restricted to the fixed html mode...
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?ZHBvbXQ=?=" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: ASP.NET 2.0 menu: where to set alternate text for "^ up one
| > level
| > | Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:06:03 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | When the ASP.NET menu is rendered on downlevel browers, the text "^
up
| > one
| > | level" is displayed.
| > | Any ideas how I can change that text? I did not find a property for
the
| > menu
| > | control where I can change it.
| > |
| > | Dieter
| > |

Guest

Hello Steven,
Also, for the Menu control's HTML content, I do admit that it still lack of
some features since the ASP.NET 2.0 first time include such a group of
cross browser navigation control(in 1.1 there only exists a set of add-on
IE specific webcontrols...).
It's really great that MS provided the new (more or less) crossbrowser menu
control, since there is no longer the need for a third party product and I
really enjoy the possibility to write custom sitemap providers.

Like you have suggested, I will check www.asp.net frequently to see if there
are any updates.

Thank you for supporting me!
Best regards,
Dieter

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your understanding & support!

Best Regards,