Asp.net 2.0 Mixed Mode Authentication?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RmFidWxvdXNzaXRlcw==?=, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Greetings,

    I am working on a web application for a client that uses Active Directory as
    the backend for the network. The application is a content management system
    that will have user and role based management based in ASP 2.0. Here is the
    Scenario that I face...

    During business hours (From the school network), employees can access web
    application and I can query against the Active directory database to access
    their credentials.

    However, once they leave the office, we would like for them to be able to
    access the network form home. So, there would need to be some type of form
    based administration that can use a SQL membership provider.

    Also, there is another group of users who will access the web application,
    and I need to be able to store their role and profile information without
    having to give them an account in Active Directory since they will never
    access the local network.

    Questions:
    1) Is it possible to program this type of behavior in Asp.net 2.0?
    2) If so, how would I programmatically control which membership provider is
    used when the login form entered from the website?
    3) Where would I store the role information? Is it possible to keep the
    role information in one table for both sets of users? I guess that would be
    equivalent to using a "role provider"

    My assumptions are:

    1) I can use a common profile provider for the two groups of users.
    2) I can synchronize the user password information across Active Directory
    and SQL when updates are made by users who can have dual access to the
    application.
    3) The sol server has a public imp address.

    Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or references.
    =?Utf-8?B?RmFidWxvdXNzaXRlcw==?=, Dec 7, 2005