ASP.NET 2.0 question on Partial Types with J.I.T.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by nospam, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    Ok, 3rd or is it the 4th time I have asked this question on Partial Types,
    so, since it seems to me that Partial Types is still in the design or
    development stages at Microsoft, I am going to ask it differently.

    FOUR QUESTIONS:
    The background:

    I got three (3) files

    (1) Untitled.aspx
    (2) Untitled.aspx.1.cs
    (3) Untitled.aspx.2.cs

    QUESTION #1:
    How would you design Partial Types for ASP.NET 2.0 web pages and what SYNTAX
    should go in the Page Directive of Untitled.aspx so that is can easily by
    J.I.T.ed when you first bring the page up in IE?

    QUESTION #2
    Would you name every file of the partial type in this page directive?

    QUESTION #3
    Would you name file #2 and #3 above differently?

    QUESTION #4
    And what difficulties could one expect when starting at the very bottom in
    designing and architecting partial types?

    REPOST BELOW
    I got three (3) files

    (1) Untitled.aspx
    (2) Untitled.aspx.1.cs
    (3) Untitled.aspx.2.cs

    These three files must be used together to make file #1, Untitled.aspx, page
    work via
    J.I.T. when the User first hits Internet Explorer 6.0 on your browser.

    MY QUESTION to the Microsoft ASP.NET and C# teams.

    I know how file #2,Untitled.aspx.1.cs, is connected and can be found by file
    #1, the Untitled.aspx page.
    How does file #3, Untitled.aspx.2.cs, get found by the file #1 when I the
    first time with Internet Explorer?

    IN OTHER WORDS, I am NOT using pre-compile for VS.NET to make these file
    compile together.
    I would be just using J.I.T. compiling like you do now with src= attribute
    in a ASP.NET page.

    nospam, Nov 28, 2003

  2. nospam

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hmm...first of all, at least with this knowledge I have, even that partial
    types are supported now, you can have only one code-beside (partial type)
    file associated with a page in ASP.NET v2.0 . From previous description I
    assumed you try to have two code-beside files for the Untitled.aspx.

    See this thread at ASP.NET Forums:
    http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=392428

    --
    Teemu Keiski

    Teemu Keiski, Nov 29, 2003

  3. nospam

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    I see confusion in your question. Partial types do not emphasize aspx files,
    it's just a consequence. The real meat here is that the defining methods are
    allowed to exist elsewhere instead of with the initial type definition -
    something I've complained about for a while now. The effect is that code
    becomes more readable and easier to deal with.

    > How would you design Partial Types for ASP.NET 2.0 web pages and what

    SYNTAX
    > should go in the Page Directive of Untitled.aspx so that is can easily by
    > J.I.T.ed when you first bring the page up in IE?

    There's no design issue involved here. At run-time when your type is
    instantiated, the CLR will collect the individual pieces and put them
    together. Jitting will be no more or less difficult because all these
    entities already belong to the same namespace anyway.

    I don't see a design issue if your architecture focusses on objects and how
    they relate to each other (OOP). A type would not change, it's
    implementation would not change. Some of it's methods will not be in the
    same source file and others will, but how would that affect the
    architecture? Design should not focus on where definitions are at - this is
    functional decomposition of sorts. It's not OOP. OOP focuses on how these
    objects relate to their environment. Remember, architecture is a very high
    level view of how the system is put together. You are unnecessarily mixing
    this upper level view with a very low level source code detail.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 29, 2003
  4. nospam

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Careful!

    OOP is a four-letter word, as far as nospam is concerned. His caps-lock key
    will probably now sporadically engage while he explains how OOP and n-tier
    development have failed.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Nov 29, 2003
  5. nospam,
    Based on a similar question from "curious" in the Whidbey newsgroups

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=whidbey&slcid=us

    I understand that you cannot use 3 files for partial types in ASP.NET, only
    two are supported.

    Only reason I remember it was "curious" is the question sounded so very
    close to your question, I was thinking "curious" was you, and you were
    asking over there, as you are not getting the answer you want over here.

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Nov 29, 2003
  6. nospam

    Eric Newton Guest

    I was thinking the same thing, Jay...

    "Curious" or "nospam"...
    Partial types are simply a way to define a class spread out over a couple of
    files. One file is analagous to a C source file while the other could be
    considered like a C header file that is "#include"-ed from the C source
    file. During compilation, the two files merge and you get one type.

    --
    Eric Newton
    C#/ASP Application Developer

    Eric Newton, Dec 2, 2003
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    There is no one on those newsgroups anyway....

    nospam, Dec 3, 2003
  8. nospam

    nospam Guest

    *Hypothetically*...ASP.NET 2.0 question on Partial Types with J.I.T.

    *Hypothetically*, if you COULD do 2 pages, how would you answer the
    questions below...

    nospam, Dec 3, 2003