ASP.NET 2.0 - Site branding for different layouts

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Knoxy, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. Knoxy

    Knoxy Guest

    Hi folks,
    Just a quick post to see if anyone had any thoughts on branding a
    website for completely different website designs. I have a site at the
    minute that gets installed with another application on customers
    networks. It's ASP.NET 2.0 but written in a combination of old ASP.NET
    1.1, AJAX with/and "heavy" use of client side javascript throughout the
    site.

    But, it now turns out that this needs to have a different branding (and
    a completely different layout) for another company that wishes to
    resell our application.

    Now, I have previously done my own custom branding on several sites but
    these have been applied onto the same design so it was just a case of
    changing logos and colours etc. No sweat.

    With a totally different layout, this could be a nightmare to do? - I
    have just started working with ASP.NET 2.0 and am wondering can this be
    easily achieved with master templates and loading them dynamically
    based on company specific information stored in the registry. I havent
    worked with Themes and Skins but I'd imagine they'd come into play...

    If I go the master templates way, all my javascript code would have to
    change as master templates generate its own named clientID for each of
    the web server controls.

    I just don't want a scenario where I have to manage multiple sets of
    code! This could be quite a big job and I want to run with the correct
    design before I get started.

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    Knoxy, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Knoxy

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Knoxy" <> wrote in message

    > If I go the master templates way, all my javascript code would have to
    > change as master templates generate its own named clientID for each of
    > the web server controls.

    No it wouldn't, if you design it properly. I do exactly this as part of my
    band management site.

    There have been loads of threads about this recently - basically, all you
    need to do is to be able to specify the MasterPage dynamically at runtime,
    which you do in the content pages' Page_PreInit method. Thereafter, the look
    and feel may be entirely different, but the internal structure will be the
    same.

    In this way, each band gets a secure private site which looks and feels
    exactly like their public site, but different from all the other bands'
    sites.

    It really is a wonderful new feature of ASP.NET 2.
    Mark Rae, Jun 30, 2006