ASP.NET 2.0 UserControl and PropertyEditor

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by CMM, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. CMM

    CMM Guest

    Maybe I'm missing something.... but, the PropertyEditor in the Designer
    doesn't seem to pick up a UserControl's underlying (default) property
    values.
    I've tried....
    - Using DefaultValue Attribute
    - Passing through the value of a property of a contained control
    - Using private member variable
    - Using ViewState... and all sorts of ViewState and Private member
    combinations.

    ....even always hardcoding a value as the Return of the property.

    Seems the design-time support for UserControls is still crappy. Why is this
    so hard?

    Not to mention that there is NO designer support for (creating)
    CompositeControls (why not?)

    P.S. Seems to me that the ASP.NET team needs to do away with the declarative
    "Classic ASP"-esque paradigm cobbled together with code-behind and go for a
    *truly* code generated paradigm. That way.... EVERYTHING is a "WebControl"
    or a "CompositeControl" instead of the hybrid mess that we have today. They
    need to woo some developers from the WinForms team to show them how to do
    it.

    --
    -C. Moya
    www.cmoya.com