ASP.Net 2.0 using stored procedures

Hennie

Hi

Can anybody point me to good articles or sites on using stored proc's in a
grid or details view in ASP2.0
Also how can I return the username of the current logged in user as a
parameter value in a stored proc?
i.e. @UpdatedBy.value = LoginName
I am using the wizard in asp.net 2.0

Many thanks

Brock Allen

You can pass parameters using the new declarative data source model. The
ASP.NET quickstarts touches on this, so it's not as in depth of a sample
that I'd like to give:

http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/data/advanced.aspx#parameters

So since those aren't so great, here's a snippet. You'd need to add the parameter
to the DataSource:

<UpdateParameters>
<asp:parameter Name="UpdateBy" Type="String" />
</UpdateParameters>

And since there's no <asp:CurrentUser> parameter, you'll have to manually
set this one in Page_Load:

SqlDataSource1.UpdateParameters["UpdatedBy"].DefaultValue = User.Identity.Name;

Guest

The wizards are different, but the basic principles are the same as the 1.x
Framework:

To get a user name, the user must be logged in. This can be done by turning
off anonymous access, which forces a user login. If the user is on your
network, the admins can set it up so they do not have to use the login box.

To get the parameter into the rest of the system, you will have to store it
somewhere. The easiest is session.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Hennie

Thanks Brock you were a great help.

}

Hi

Can anybody point me to good articles or sites on using stored proc's
in a
grid or details view in ASP2.0
Also how can I return the username of the current logged in user as a
parameter value in a stored proc?
i.e. @UpdatedBy.value = LoginName
I am using the wizard in asp.net 2.0
Many thanks

Hennie

Another question

How can I get the unique ID of the user? I want to store the details of the
last person who edited a record on the DB. By just adding the name I might
get duplicate names.

Thanks

Brock Allen said:
[...]

You mean User.Identity.Name doesn't work? So this means you have many users
in your user database with the same logon name?