ASP.NET 2.0 - Windows Auth and Roles

Mark Parter

Is it possible to use Windows authentication and the builtin role provider
in ASP.NET 2 Beta 2?

The intranet app I'm developing uses Windows authentication but I'd like to
give an administrator the power to add roles (to the aspnetdb database) and
add Windows users to these roles.

It seems I can achieve the first option, creating the roles. But if I try to
add a Windows user to the role, the "search" function never finds them, I'm
assuming it's searching it's own database.

I'm a bit unclear about how the how the roles provider works in conjunction
with Windows authentication as most of the articles I've come across involve
forms authentication.

Brock Allen

Yes it's possible. The built in admin tools can't search all the possible
windows accounts, though, to configure. You'll have to manually call Roles.AddUserToRole.

Mark Parter

Thanks for your reply Brock.

So I have to create a form to programmatically add users to these roles?

Just to clarify, this is will work for adding Windows accounts to roles
stored in the database?

Thanks,

Mark

Brock Allen

So I have to create a form to programmatically add users to these

Well, if the admin tool can't or doesn't know how to show the right list
of users then, yeah, you'll have to make your own. I just ran a check, and
even though I have configured Windows auth, the Role management shows the
users frm the SqlMembershipProvider. Dumb, huh?
Just to clarify, this is will work for adding Windows accounts to
roles stored in the database?

Yep. I tested this recently (don't remember if it was under beta 2 or not,
but it should be fine).

Mark Parter

OK, thanks again.