    Will we be able to open .NET 2.0 projects from VS 2008 without conversions
    and still be able to open the same projets with VS 2005?

    Thank you very much

    Mike Gleason jr Couturier, Jan 18, 2008

  2. "Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Hi!
    >
    > We're developing websites with VS 2005 (.NET 2.0) and we want to move on

    > .NET 3.X (Not the whole team but the R&D team).
    >
    > Do we absolutely need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 to do that? Is that
    > the same thing going from 1.X to 2.0?
    >
    > Will we be able to open .NET 2.0 projects from VS 2008 without conversions
    > and still be able to open the same projets with VS 2005?

    VS 2008 maintains the same format for project files as VS2005 so you can use
    projects interchangably. The solution files are different though.

    However Websites (unless you've downloaded the Web Projects update) aren't
    maintained in a project file. It shouldn't be a problem for VS 2008 and
    VS2005 to share content from source code control since the contents of the
    folders is simply the project.

    There isn't much point sharing projects between them if you are targeting
    over .NET 2.0 but you will be able to work on current .NET 2.0 code whilst
    also researching .NET 3.5 projects using only VS 2008.

    If you are using C# you need to be careful what language features you use,
    VS 2008 uses the 3.0 compilier which is fine if you're shipping assemblies
    (assuming you target .NET 2.0) but if you have app_code or inline code in
    pages using C# VS doesn't warn you where you are using 3.0 language
    features that aren't available on a server that only has the 2.0 compilier.
    I would guess the same condition exists for VB.NET but I don't know.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jan 18, 2008