ASP.NET 2 to 3.X

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Hi!

We're developing websites with VS 2005 (.NET 2.0) and we want to move on to
..NET 3.X (Not the whole team but the R&D team).

Do we absolutely need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 to do that? Is that
the same thing going from 1.X to 2.0?

Will we be able to open .NET 2.0 projects from VS 2008 without conversions
and still be able to open the same projets with VS 2005?

Thank you very much

Anthony Jones

Mike Gleason jr Couturier said:
Hi!

We're developing websites with VS 2005 (.NET 2.0) and we want to move on to
.NET 3.X (Not the whole team but the R&D team).

Do we absolutely need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 to do that? Is that
the same thing going from 1.X to 2.0?

Will we be able to open .NET 2.0 projects from VS 2008 without conversions
and still be able to open the same projets with VS 2005?

VS 2008 maintains the same format for project files as VS2005 so you can use
projects interchangably. The solution files are different though.

However Websites (unless you've downloaded the Web Projects update) aren't
maintained in a project file. It shouldn't be a problem for VS 2008 and
VS2005 to share content from source code control since the contents of the
folders is simply the project.

There isn't much point sharing projects between them if you are targeting
over .NET 2.0 but you will be able to work on current .NET 2.0 code whilst
also researching .NET 3.5 projects using only VS 2008.

If you are using C# you need to be careful what language features you use,
VS 2008 uses the 3.0 compilier which is fine if you're shipping assemblies
(assuming you target .NET 2.0) but if you have app_code or inline code in
pages using C# VS doesn't warn you where you are using 3.0 language
features that aren't available on a server that only has the 2.0 compilier.
I would guess the same condition exists for VB.NET but I don't know.