    control ?

    Tx for answers..

    Rick

    Rickie, Jun 27, 2006

  2. RE: asp.net 20 menu control useless ? [server callback, no menuitem cl

    Rickie,
    I'm not particularly enamored of it myself, but I wouldn't say it is
    "useless". It all depends on what you expect it to be able to do.

    If you look on the Control Gallery at ASP.NET there are 52 of them you can
    choose from, some are free:

    http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/default.aspx?Category=32&tabindex=6

    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Jun 27, 2006

  3. Hey Rick,

    If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
    freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.

    I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
    whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:

    http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx

    Ken
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jun 28, 2006
  4. Rickie

    Rickie Guest

    Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
    <>:

    >Hey Rick,
    >
    >If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
    >freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
    >
    >I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
    >whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
    >
    >http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
    >
    >Ken
    >Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
    was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
    else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
    which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
    has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
    their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
    postbacks.

    Rick

    Rickie, Jun 28, 2006
  5. hi Rick, if your menu structure is so deep and you need to load on demand,
    then maybe what you really want to use is a treeview. A dropdown menu that
    loads on demand for every node i mouseover, is not all that pretty and
    usable. Pretty irritating actually, atleast from a users view point.
    Ofcourse this is my humble opinion :)
    That said, i have still yet to see a thirdparty menu component that has a
    serverside API as rich as the standard navigation menu provided in asp.net
    2.0
    If you really want to extend then you might want to try going the adapter
    route or overriding the original rendering, and i'll admit its not a walk in
    the park, however it is doable.

    Regards,
    Alessandro Zifiglio

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Jun 28, 2006
  6. Rickie

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Re: asp.net 20 menu control useless ? [server callback, no menuitemclick]

    Now that your rant is over, can we move right along? :p

    Ray Booysen, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Re: asp.net 20 menu control useless ? [server callback, no menuite

    So Rickie,
    I think you've made your subjective point, e.g. "The Standard ASP.NET 2.0
    Menu Control is Useless".

    So what are you gonna do now?

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Jun 28, 2006
  8. The menu can call any http or js function

    Edwin Knoppert, Jun 28, 2006
  9. Rickie

    Rickie Guest

    Please do, I doubt you understand the challenge or reason for it.
    Regards,
    Rick

    Rickie, Jun 30, 2006
  10. Rickie

    Rickie Guest

    Edwin,

    Tx for your response. Still I am curious why the sophisticated people
    of microsoft have designed a rich component like the menu which
    is *not* clientsite. Do you think they really make components which
    are not usable in itself but only with clientsite script ?

    And then another point. How difficult or easy would it be to call http
    or js from a menuitem handler ?

    Ricky

    Rickie, Jun 30, 2006
  11. Rickie

    Guest

    ?? All the asp controls are server-side and post back to the server.
    Hence:
    asp:mycontrol runat=server id=fubar

    Rickie wrote:
    > Edwin,
    >
    > Tx for your response. Still I am curious why the sophisticated people
    > of microsoft have designed a rich component like the menu which
    > is *not* clientsite. Do you think they really make components which
    > are not usable in itself but only with clientsite script ?
    >
    > And then another point. How difficult or easy would it be to call http
    > or js from a menuitem handler ?
    >
    > Ricky
    >

    > Op Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:35:08 +0200 schreef "Edwin Knoppert"
    > <>:
    >
    > >The menu can call any http or js function
    > >
    > >"Rickie" <> schreef in bericht
    > >> Dear fellow software engineers,
    > >>
    > >> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
    > >> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
    > >> controls?
    > >> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
    > >> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
    > >> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
    > >> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
    > >> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
    > >> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
    > >> control ?
    > >>
    > >> Tx for answers..
    > >>
    > >> Rick

    , Jul 6, 2006
  12. Here is an example:

    http://www.hellobasic.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=dotnet;action=display;num=1152258978

    In short, simply set (each) navigateURL to javascript:myjsfunction....

    Edwin Knoppert, Jul 7, 2006