ASP.NET 3.5 AppDomain Lifetime Options

Prasanna P

Hi,

I am using ASP.NET 3.5. In my Application_Start event handler, I am
running an expensive database query to cache data once per lifetime of
the app domain. I notice that the app domain seems to recycle itself
without any configuration changes every 1/2 hour or so. ie. When a new
request comes in, after 1/2 hour, Application_Start is called again
and the expensive reinitialization of data is done all over again,
slowing down the request.

I understand this sort f auto-recycling of app domains is new to .NET
3.5. Can someone tell me how I can go back to the default behavior of
ASP.NET app domians which is recycle the app domain only when the
config file or the assembly itself changes? Is there a setting in the
machine.config file? Also, if you can point me to MSDN documentation
on this new bahavior, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Norman Yuan

That is IIS setting. In IIS6/7, all the applications with the IIS using an
application pool, which can be configured to recycle, shut down working
process in certain time interval. For more detail, go to IIS manager, look
into application pools.